Comparative study of the personality correlates and nature of drug abuse in schools and colleges
With the help of a disguised questionnaire 634 school boys, 777 college students (365 college boys and 412 college girls) between ages of 14 and 19 were surveyed to identify drug abuses. To those identified as drug abusers and to an equal number of matching controls the High School Personality Questionnaire (HSPQ) of Cattell was administered. The data on drug abuse and personality was analysed on the computer of the operations Research Group Baroda using the S.P.S.S.
The prevalence of drug abuse in schools and college boys and college girls has been analysed separately and also the nature and frequency of the drug abused. The personality correlates of school boys and college students were analysed separately. Subsequently by a stepwise multiple regression analysis personality correlates with the greatest predictive ability in determining drug use were selected and predictive models are worked out using the «F»’ statistics’.
Key wordsDrug abuse adolescence personality correlates
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Drug Abuse in India. Report of the Committee appointed by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Govt. of India. 1977.Google Scholar
- 2.WHO Techn, Rep. Ser. No. 460,.1970.Google Scholar
- 3.Raymond B Cattell ; Hand book for the Jr. Sr. High School Personality Questionnaire, Illionis Institute for Personality and Ability Testing, 1969.Google Scholar
- 4.Thomas M G, Prabbu GG : Prevalence of drug abuse in high school population. Paper presented at International working group meeting on alcohol and drug dependence, March 1975.Google Scholar
- 5.Sethi B B, Manchanda B : Drug abuse among medical students. Data made available to National Committee on drug abuse 1977.Google Scholar
- 6.Mohan D, Arora A: Prevalence of drug abuse in college students. An assessment of drug dependence in South Asia. J Ind Med Assoc 6: 28, 1976Google Scholar
- 7.Mohan D, Prabhakar AK, Sharma P N: Prevalence and pattern of drug abuse among Delhi University students. Indian J Med Res 65 : 627, 1977Google Scholar
- 9.Veeraraghvan V : Students and Drug use-Rachna Publishers, New Delhi, 1972.Google Scholar
- 10.Cockett R: Drug abuse and personality in young offenders, Butterworth London, 1971.Google Scholar
- 11.Volbrecht WM: Quoted in Raymond B Cattell, Hand Book for the Jr Sr High school Personality Questionnaire, Illinois Institute for Personality and Ability Testing, 1969.Google Scholar
- 12.Puliyel JM, Agtawal R K, Chansoria M: The incidence and Nature of Drug abuse in adolescence, Personality Correlates and Predictive models. Indian Paediatr 18 : 660, 1981Google Scholar