Incidence of childhood tuberculosis with particular reference to pulmonary tuberculosis
- 19 Downloads
Incidence of different forms of tuberculosis has been presented in 523 tuberculous children up to 15 years of age. Data have been analysed with respect to different age groups.
The ratio of pulmonary to extra-pulmonary type was found to be 28% to 72% in marked contrast to the ratio seen in the adults.
Tuberculous adenitis was the commonest form of extrapulmonary tuberculosis (90% in this series).
It has been shown that the relative frequency of different forms of tuberculosis in childhood is likely to differ in a T.B. clinic and in an out-patients' department of a hospital for children’s diseases. The reasons have been discussed.
Pulmonary tuberculosis in children has been discussed. Out of 84 cases 22·6% were suffering from primary tuberculosis. Out of remaining 77·4% cases of post primary tuberculosis, 47·7% had cavities and 51% were bilateral. Sputum was found positive by smear alone in little more than half the cases who gave sputum.
The commonest form of pulmonary disease was cavity with infiltration (36·9%); infiltration without cavitation, 31%; enlargement of regional glands only, 21·4%; miliary, 4·7%; consolidation, 4·7% and atelectasis, 1·3%.
108 child contacts of tuberculous patients were examined by fluoroscopy and tuberculin testing; 1·7% had suspicious lung shadows and 14% had heavy hilar shadows. Out of 825 who returned for reading of Mantoux results 52·8% were positive. In the age group 10–15 years 98% were positive.
Out of 1,008 contacts 1·2% were found to be suffering from pulmonary tuberculosis.
KeywordsTuberculosis Pulmonary Tuberculosis Tuberculous Meningitis Childhood Tuberculosis Miliary Tuberculosis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Ukil, S. C.—Indian Medical Gazette, April, 1937.Google Scholar
- 2.Sikand, B. K.—Proceedings of 9th. Tuberculosis Workers' Conference, February, 1952.Google Scholar
- 3.Frimodt Moller, J.—Proceedings of 9th. Tuberculosis Workers' Conference, February, 1952.Google Scholar
- 4.Hertzberg, G.—Proceedings of 9th Tuberculosis Workers' Conference, February, 1952.Google Scholar
- 5.Achar, S. T.—Proceedings of 9th Tuberculosis Workers' Conference, February, 1952.Google Scholar
- 6.Ukil, A. C.—Proceedings of 9th Tuberculosis Workers' Conference, February, 1952.Google Scholar