Observations on 149 children with tuberculosis are presented and discussed with special reference to the available data from India.
The majority of the cases were young males and belonged to the low socio-economic group. Only 15% had a definite history of contact; nearly half of the patients gave a history of measles, whooping cough or chicken pox in the recent past.
The over-all incidence of the primary complex was 43%; 7.3% of these cases had associated pulmonary complications.
Pleural effusion accounted for 4.0% of the cases, superficial lymphadenopathy 20.0%, meningitis 8.0%, intra-abodominal tuberculosis 11%, skeletal tuberculosis 8.0% and chronic pulmonary tuberculosis 6.0%.
KeywordsTuberculosis Measle Tuberculous Meningitis Whooping Cough Extrapulmonary Tuberculosis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bentley, F. J., Crysbowski, S. and Benjamin, B. (1954), Tuberculosis in Childhood and Adolescence with Special Reference to the Pulmonary Forms of the Disease.N.A.P.T. London, p. 129.Google Scholar
- Bhagat, M. P.et al. (1959) cited by Ramachandran and Purnayyan (1966).Google Scholar
- Bhargava, S. K., Saha, M. M., Agarwal, K. N. and Rao V. (1967). Some observations on the patterns of pulmonary tuberculosis in children.Indian Pediat. 4, 262.Google Scholar
- Briggs, B., Illingworth, R. S. and Lorber, J. (155). Human source of tuberculosis in children.Lancet,1, 263.Google Scholar
- Cairns, H. and Smith, H. (1952). Tuberculosis of the Central Nervous System. Modern Practice in Tuberculosis, Vol. II, p. 353. London,Butterworth.Google Scholar
- Chopade, S. G., Bond, W. M. and Airan, W. O. (1964). Tuberculous meningitis in children. Asian Pediatrics.Asia Publishing House, Bombay.Google Scholar
- Lincoln, E. M. and Sewell, E. M. (1963). Tuberculosis in children.McGraw Hill Co. New York.Google Scholar
- Manchanda, S. S., Bawa, Y. S. and Bhatia, J. R. (1958). Tuberculosis in children.Indian J. Child. Hlth. 7, 938.Google Scholar
- Manchanda, S. S. and Lal, H. (1966). Tuberculous meningitis in children-a problem unsolved in India.Indian Pediat, 3, 167.Google Scholar
- Merchant S. M. (1956). Cited by Chopade S. G. W. M. and Airan W. O. (1964)..Google Scholar
- Mittal, V. N. and Gupta, M. C. (1964). Tuberculous meningitis.Indian J. med. Sci. 18, 584.Google Scholar
- Rama Chandran, R. S. and Purnayyan, S. (1966). Tuberculosis in children.Indian Pediat. 3, 218.Google Scholar
- Udani, P. M. (1968). Tuberculosis in childhood.Pediat. Clin. India 3, 163.Google Scholar
- Varma, B. M. and Agarwal, V. K. (1966). Ocular manifestations of tuberculous meningitis in children—a clinical study.Indian Pediat. 3, 187.Google Scholar