Modification of Karhunen-Loeve transform for pattern recognition
- 66 Downloads
Application of the Karhunen-Loeve transform in pattern recognition problems necessitates knowledge of the mean vectors for the training sets of different classes for construction of the respective covariance matrices. This modality poses problems for recognizing an unknown signal in a multi-class environment and for its on-line implementation. This is becausea priori it is unknown which mean vector of the several classes is to be subtracted from an unknown input signal. To remove this difficulty a global mean approach has been proposed. The proposed method has been applied to synthetic and experimentally observed acoustic signals successfully and its performance with respect to pattern recognition and data compression has been compared with the conventional method.
KeywordsKarhunen-Loeve transform global mean approach synthetic signal acoustic signal
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ahamed N, Rao K R 1975Orthogonal transforms for digital signal processing (Berlin: Springer-Verlag)Google Scholar
- Fukunaga K 1972Introduction to statistical pattern recognition (New York: Academic Press)Google Scholar
- Laaksonen J, Oja E 1996 Subspace dimension selection and averaged learning subspace method in handwritten digit classification.Proc. of the Int. Conf. on Artificial Neural Networks, Bochum, Germany, pp 227–232Google Scholar
- Laaksonen J 1997 Local subspace classifier and local subspace SOM.Proc. of the Workshop on Self-Organizing Maps, Otaniemi, Finland, pp 32–37Google Scholar
- Oja E 1983Subspace methods of pattern recognition (New York: Research Studies Press)Google Scholar
- Oja E, Kärki T 1987 Properties of the ALSM subspace classifier for texture analysis.Proceedings of the 5th Scandinavian Conf. on Image Analysis, Stockholm, pp 419–426Google Scholar
- Oja E, Kohonen T 1988 The subspace learning algorithm as a formalism for pattern recognition and neural networks.IEEE Int. Conf. on Neural Networks, San Diego, California, pp I277–I284Google Scholar
- Rosenfeld A 1976Digital picture processing (New York: Academic Press)Google Scholar
- Tomita S, Noguchi S, Oizumi J 1970 On evaluation of hand-written characters by Karhunen-Loeve orthonormal system.Proc. 3rd. Hawaii Int. Conf. on Syst. Sci., Part I, pp 501–504Google Scholar
- Watanabe S, Pakvasa N 1973 Subspace method of pattern recognition.Proceedings of the first Int. Conf. on Pattern Recognition, Washington, DC, pp 25–32Google Scholar