Phase diagram and thermochemical properties of organic eutectic in a monotectic system
- 116 Downloads
The phase diagram of a binary organic system involving diphenyl and succinonitrile shows the formation of a eutectic (0·968 mole fraction of succinonitrile) and a monotectic (0·074 mole fraction of succinonitrile) with a large miscibility gap in the system, the upper consolute temperature being 53·5°C above the monotectic horizontal. From the enthalpy of fusion of the pure components, the eutectic and the monotectic, determined by the DSC method, the enthalpy of mixing, Jackson’s roughness parameter, interfacial energy, size of the critical nucleus and excess thermodynamic functions were calculated.
KeywordsPhase diagram monotectic system thermochemistry organic eutectic organic monotectic
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Christian J W 1965The theory of phase transformations in metals and alloys (Oxford: Pergamon Press)Google Scholar
- Ecker A, Frazier D O and Alexander J I D 1989Metall. Trans. A20 2517Google Scholar
- Elliott R 1977Int. Met. Rev. 22 161Google Scholar
- Elliott R 1983Eutectic solidifcation processing (London: Butterworths)Google Scholar
- Glazer J 1995Int. Mater. Rev. 40 65Google Scholar
- Glicksman M E, Singh N B and Chopra M 1983Manufacturing in Space 11 207Google Scholar
- Herlach D M, Cochrane R F, Egry I, Fecht H J and Greer A L 1993Int. Mater. Rev. 38 273Google Scholar
- Singh N B 1978Acta Ciencia Indica 4 4Google Scholar
- Trivedi R and Kurz W 1994Int. Mater. Rev. 39 49Google Scholar
- Wisniak J and Tamir A 1978Mixing and excess thermodynamic properties (A literature source book), inPhys. Sci. Data (New York: Elsevier)Google Scholar