Young’s modulus of cast HMS 2112-C f composite—prediction and ultrasonic evaluation
- 40 Downloads
Various models for the prediction of strengthening mechanism of metal matrix composites (MMCs) containing either fibres or particulates are analysed. Assuming that the matrix strengthening by dislocations could be treated as equivalent to the effect of different volume fraction of dispersoids, as well as by considering the effect of morphology of reinforcement on the Young’s modulus, an expression for Young’s modulus for MMCs has been derived. The Young’s modulus values thus predicted, using this model, have been validated by ultrasonically-derived values of Young’s modulus of an Al-alloy matrix composite containing 5, 8 and 12 wt% chopped carbon fibre (C f) dispersoids, in as cast and extruded conditions. Further, the theoretically- and ultrasonically-derived Young’s modulus of cast Al-alloy-C f composites with 5 and 8 wt%C f have been found to be comparable with the reported values of Young’s modulus for these weight fractions.
KeywordsStrengthening mechanism Young’s modulus metal matrix composites ultrasonic testing weakening factor
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Arsenault R J 1990Processing and interfaces (eds) R J Arsenault and R K Evertt (London: Academic Press Inc.) pp 133–167Google Scholar
- Halpin J C 1990Primer on composite materials analysis (Lancastar, PA: Technomic Publishers) Rev. edn. p. 130Google Scholar
- Harrigan W C Jr 1987Composites, inEngineered Materials Hand Book (ed.) Cyril A Dostal (Ohio: ASM International) Vol. I, p. 889Google Scholar
- Jeong H, Hsu D H, Shaninon R and Liaw P K 1994Metall. Mater. Trans. A25 804Google Scholar
- Krautkrammer J and Krautkrammer H 1987 inUltrasonic testing of materials (New York: Springer Verlag) Rev. edn.Google Scholar
- Kwon P and Dharan C K 1995Acta Metall. Mater. 43 114Google Scholar
- Lloyd D J 1994Int. Met. Rev. 39 1Google Scholar
- Mc Denals D L 1995Metall. Trans. A16 1105Google Scholar
- Satyanarayana K G, Adalarasu S, Gopalakrishnan Nair A G, Pillai S G K, Vaidyan V K and Mahadevan S 1994J. Nondestruct. Eval. 13 48Google Scholar
- Taya M and Arsenault R J 1989 inMetal matrix composite—thermomechanical behaviour (Oxford: Pergamon Press)Google Scholar
- Vishnu Nampoothiri M 1995 B.Tech. Project Report, College of Engineering, ThiruvananthapuramGoogle Scholar