Photoelectrochemical properties of metal-cluster oxide compounds, A2Mo3O8 and (LiY)Mo3O8
PEC studies on the single crystals of the metal-cluster oxide compounds. A2Mo3O8 (A = Zn, Mg, Fe), and polycrystalline LiYMo3O8 are reported. The photoresponse behaviour is attributed to the Mod-d transition. The photopotential, the photocurrent vs applied voltage and the wavelength data indicate thatn-Zn2Mo3O8 is stable and possesses a small and indirect band gap of 1·55 eV and a direct band gap of 1·9 eV. With change in A ions in A2Mo3O8, there is no significant change in the PEC properties. LiYMo3O8 is found to be ofp-type. PEC studies show that excepting for poor electronic conductivity, A2Mo3O8 possesses all the requisitie characteristics of an ideal photoanode for PAE of water for trapping solar energy.
KeywordsMetal-cluster oxides d-d transition single crystals photoresponsive semi-conductors
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Alonso Vante N and Tributsch H 1986Proc. Sixth Int. Conf. on Photochemical Conversion and Storage of Solar Energy, Paris, Paper C-79 Google Scholar
- Goodenough J B 1982Proc. Climax Fourth Int. Conf. on Chem. and uses of Mo (eds) H F Barry and P C M Mitchell (Ann. Arbor, Michigan: Climax Molybdenum Co.)Google Scholar
- Paranthaman M, Aravamudan G and Subba Rao G V 1986aIndian J. Technol. 24 399Google Scholar
- Subba Rao G V, Aruchamy A, Aravamudan G and Paranthaman M 1984Advances in hydrogen energy 4. Hydrogen energy progress (New York: Pergamon Press) vol. 3, p. 1075Google Scholar
- Subba Rao G V, Paranthaman M and Aravamudan G 1986Proc. Sixth Int. Conf. on Photochemical Conversion and Storage of Solar Energy, Paris, Paper D-103Google Scholar
- Subba Rao G V and Shafer M W 1979 inPhysics and chemistry of materials with layered structures (ed.) F Levy (Dordrecht: D. Reidel) vol. 6Google Scholar
- Tributsch H 1986 inModern aspects of electrochemistry No. 17 (eds) J O’M Bockris, B E Conway and R E White (New York: Plenum) p. 303Google Scholar