Electron transport in non-crystalline garnet films
- 36 Downloads
Thin films of yttrium iron garnet (yig) and Gd-substitutedyig of different thickness have been prepared by flash evaporation. The surfacedc andac electrical resistivity and thermopower in these films have been studied. The results are explained on the basis of Mott and Davis model in which narrow tails of localised states exist at the extreme valence and conduction bands and a band of localised levels near the middle of the gap. For the temperature range studied, the main conduction mechanism is on account of excitation of carriers into localised states at the band edges and hopping at energies close to the band tails.
KeywordsThin films non-crystalline garnet electron transport activation energy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bahadur D, Parkash O and Kumar D 1981Bull. Mater. Sci. 3 325Google Scholar
- Chopra K L 1969Thin film phenomena (New York and London: McGraw-Hill)Google Scholar
- Larsen P K and Metselaar R 1976Phys. Rev. B14 2520Google Scholar
- Mott N F and Davis E A 1979Electronic processes in non-crystalline materials (Oxford: Clarendon) p 199Google Scholar
- Nagels P 1979 inAmorphous semi-conductors (ed.) M H Brodsky (Berlin, Heidelberg and New York: Springer Verlag) p 113Google Scholar