Preparation and characterisation ofβ″-Al2O3
- 72 Downloads
Beta alumina solid electrolyte is a potential candidate in the fabrication of Na-S batteries. In the present study, it has been prepared in the form of discs by uniaxially as well as isostatically pressing and sintering in the temperature range 1585–1630°C, the highest sintered density of 3·25 g/cm3 has been achieved in the samples isostatically pressed and sintered at 1630°C. X-ray analysis of the samples shows formation ofβ″-phase. Microstructure of the sintered samples reveals some darker regions which are attributed to low soda content. Resistivity at 300°C measured by the two-probe method at a frequency of 1 MHz on samples having vacuum-deposited silver electrodes is 15 ohm-cm, which is slightly higher than the value of 5–13 ohm-cm reported in literature using molten sodium electrodes. The activation energy of conductivity is 0·24 eV which is comparable to the literature value of 0·24–0·35 eV.
KeywordsConducting ceramic ionic conductor sodium beta alumina solid electrolyte
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- ASTM 1967 19-1173Google Scholar
- Das B K, Kalsi H S, Khullar S M, Kumar Rahul, Goel R C and Misra S C KInt. Symp. on Ceramics 27–30 Nov. 1982 Bangalore (India) Vol. I Part IIGoogle Scholar
- Demont D S and Hancock P 1971Proc. Br. Ceram. Soc. Google Scholar
- Gordon R S, McEntire B J, Miller M L and Virkar A V 1977Mater. Sci. Res. Vol. 11, p. 1405Google Scholar
- Kalsi H S, Tandon R P and Das B K 1983Symp. on Adv. in electrochemical Energy Storage and Conversion 21-1-1983, CECRI, Karaikudi (India)Google Scholar
- Kummer J T 1972Prog. Solid State Chem. (ed.) H Reiss and J O McCaldin (New York: Pergamon Press) Vol. 7Google Scholar
- Kummer J T and Weber N 1968Soc. Automotive Eng. Trans. 76 1003Google Scholar
- Sudworth J L, Tilley A R and South K D 1973East ion transport in solids (ed.) W Van Gool (Amsterdam: North Holland) p. 581Google Scholar
- Wynn Jones I and Miles L T 1971Proc. Br. Ceram. Soc. 161Google Scholar
- Youngblood C E, Virkar A V, Canon W R and Gordon R S 1977Am. Ceram. Soc. Bull. 56 206Google Scholar