Newer drugs for asthma
- 51 Downloads
Several new drugs have resulted from innovative pharmacological and immunomodulatory approaches towards treatment of asthma. Diverse therapeutic targets have provided new agents. The new classes of drugs available are newer “on site activated inhaled corticisteroids” and soft steroids, anti IgE compounds, leukotriene inhibitors and single isomer agents which are available for clinical use. Anti interleukin agents and phosphodiesterase inhibitors are in the stage of clinical trials. Antisense therapy and pharmacogenetics are the on horizon for treatment of asthma.
KeywordsInhaled corticosteroids IgE Interleukins
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.National Heart Lung and Bloood Institute, Expert Panel Report Guidelines for the diagnosis and management of asthma. National Institutes of Health, Bathesda HD, 1997 Publication No. 95-3659.Google Scholar
- 2.Dahl R, Nielson LP, Christensen MB, Engelstatter R. Ciclesonide-an inhaled corticosteroid prodrug inhibits allergen induced early and late phase reactions.Eur Respir J 1998; 28: 62.Google Scholar
- 4.Bennich HH, Ishizaka K, Johansson SGOel al. Immunoglobulin E, a new class of human immunoglobulin.Bull WHO 1968; 38: 151–152.Google Scholar
- 10.Leckie MJ, ten Brinke A, Lordan J, Khan J, Diamant Z, Walls CMet al. SB 240563, a humanised anti-IL-5 monoclonal antibody: initial single dose safety and activity in patients with asthma.Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1999; 159: A624.Google Scholar
- 14.Panettieri RA, Eszterhas A, Cieslinski LB, Torphy TJ. Ariflo® (SB 207499) modulates human airway smooth muscle cell proliferation induced by mitogens.Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2000; 161: A697.Google Scholar
- 17.Wilson AJ, Gibson PG, Coughlan J. Long-acting beta-agonists versus theophylline for maintenance treatment of asthma.Cochmne Database Syst Rev 2000; 1: 1–11.Google Scholar
- 21.Edell D, Perlander F, Khoshoo V. Comparative efficacy of levalbuterol (LA) and racemic albuterol (RA) in infants with reactive airway disease (RAD) using crying vital capacity (CVC) measurements.Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol, (in press).Google Scholar
- 23.Truitt TJ, Witko J, Kotter S, Gordon I. Levalbuterol reduces total and breakthrough treatments in hospitalized patients.Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2000; 137: 248S.Google Scholar