BCG revaccination and tuberculin reactivity
- 49 Downloads
Interpretation of tuberculin reactions in revaccinated children is somewhat controversial among paediatricians. In this study, the effect of the number of BCG vaccines on tuberculin reactivity is evaluated. In 2810 healthy children aged 7 to 14 years with purified protein derivative (PPD) testing. Children were grouped according to the concordance of the number of the reportedJdocumented vaccinations to the number of scars. Group 1 and 2 comprised of children 7 to 10 years of age and 11 to 14 years of age respectively, who had non-concordant scar numbers, and Group 3 and 4 included 7 to 10 and 11 to 14 years old children with concordant scar numbers. Mean tuberculin induration sizes were 8.0±5.7 mm for Group 1,10.6 ± 4.9 mm for Group 2, 9.8 ± 4.9 mm for Group 3 and 10.9 ± 4 mm for Group 4. As the time interval after the last dose of vaccination increased, mean induration sizes decreased in Group 1 and Group 3. In contrast, the mean reaction sizes of Group 2 and Group 4 showed a positive correlation with the period after the last dose of vaccine.
It seems advisable that an induration size> 15 mm should not be attributed to BCG vaccination in countries with a high tuberculosis infection prevalence and routine BCG revaccination policies. A detailed investigation for tuberculosis infection and disease should be performed in those cases.
Key wordsBCG revaccination Tuberculin reactivity.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.MilstienJ. Tuberculosis. WHOJEPIJGEN93.15Google Scholar
- 2.Starke JR, Jacobs RF, Jereb J. Resurgence of tuberculosis in children.J Pediatr 1992; 64: 167–179.Google Scholar
- 12.Menzies R, Vissandjee B. Effect of Bacille CalmetteGuerin vaccination on tuberculin reactivity.Am Rev Respir Dis 1992; 141: 621–625.Google Scholar
- 13.The WHO standart tuberculin test. WHO/TB/Tech. Guide February 22,1963.Google Scholar
- 18.Margus JH, Khassis Y. The tuberculin sensitivity in BCG vaccinated infants and children in Israel.Acta Tuberc Pneumonol Scand 1965; 46: 113–122.Google Scholar
- 19.Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Targeted tuberculin testing and treatment of latent tuberculosis infection.MMWR 2000; 49: 23–25.Google Scholar