How good is the overseas competition?: A survey of car dealers in America
- 58 Downloads
This paper reports on a survey of car dealers in six states. Dealers were asked to rate cars “made in the U.S.A.” in comparison to imports from four overseas countries. The results suggest several potential areas for product improvement in U.S. models but also identified a number of areas where U.S. makes were judged as superior.
KeywordsGerman Model Free Trade Policy Agree Agree Southern Market Association Specific Product Attribute
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Apcar, Leonard M. 1981. “Car Sales Slip as Prices, Loans Cost Rise”.Wall Street Journal, (April 28), 48.Google Scholar
- Camp, Charles B. 1981. “Auto Dealers Meet in Gloom of Sales Slump.”Wall Street Journal, (February 9, 1981).Google Scholar
- Cattin, Philippe and Jolibert, Alain 1979. “An American vs. French Cross-Cultural Study of Five ‘Made In’ Concepts”.Proceedings of the 1979 Educator’s Conference of the American Marketing Association. Chicago: American Marketing Association, 1979, 450–454.Google Scholar
- Conte, Christopher and Lehner, Urban 1981. “Car Import Limit Eases U.S.-Japan Trade Rift; Domestic Makers Gain Leeway to Boost Prices”.Wall Street Journal, (May 4), 3.Google Scholar
- Dornoff, Ronald J., Tankersley, Clint B., and White, Gregory P. 1974. “Consumers’ Perceptions of Imports.”Akron Business and Economic Review 5, (Summer) 26–29.Google Scholar
- Juran, J.M. 1981. “Is Japan Cornerning the Market on Product Quality?”International Management, 36 (January) 22–25.Google Scholar
- Nagashima, Akira 1970. “A Comparison of Japanese and U.S. Attitudes Towards Foreign Products,”Journal of Marketing, 13 (November) 358–364.Google Scholar
- Nicholson, Thomas 1981. “Help Ahead for Detroit?”Newsweek (February 16), 60.Google Scholar
- Niffenegger, Phillip B. 1980. “How Imports Rate in Comparison to Domestic Products: A Retailer Survey.” Proceedings of the Southern Marketing Association, New Orleans: 1980, 369–373.Google Scholar
- Stevens, Charles W. 1982. “Importers Take a Record Share of Car Market.”Wall Street Journal, (September 7), 14.Google Scholar
- Winer, B.J. 1971.Statistical Principles in Experimental Design (second edition). New York: McGraw Hill, 261–282.Google Scholar