Space-time covariant form of Ashtekar’s constraints
- 37 Downloads
The Lagrangian formulation of classical field theories and, in particular, general relativity leads to a coordinate-free, fully covariant analysis of these constrained systems. This paper applies multisymplectic techniques to obtain the analysis of Palatini and self-dual gravity theories as constrained systems, which have been studied so far in the Hamiltonian formalism. The constraint equations are derived while paying attention to boundary terms, and the Hamiltonian constraint turns out to be linear in the multimomenta. The equivalence with Ashtekar’s formalism is also established. The whole constraint analysis, however, remains covariant in that the multimomentum map is evaluated onany space-like hypersurface. This study is motivated by the non-perturbative quantization programme of general relativity.
KeywordsPACS 04.20.Cv Fundamental problems and general formalism PACS 04.60.Ds Canonical quantization
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Dirac P. A. M.,Lectures on Quantum Mechancis (Yeshiva University, New York, N.Y.) 1964.Google Scholar
- Hanson A., Regge T. andTeitelboim C.,Constrained Hamiltonian Systems (Accademia dei Lincei, Rome) 1976.Google Scholar
- Sniatycki J.,On the canonical formulation of general relativity, inProc. Journées Relativistes (Faculté des Sciences, Caen) 1970.Google Scholar
- Novotny J.,On the geometric foundations of the Lagrange formulation of general relativity, inDifferential Geometry, edited byGy. Soos andJ. Szenthe,Eds. Colloq. Math. Soc. J. Bolyai,31 (North-Holland, Amsterdam) 1982.Google Scholar
- Hawking S. W.,The path-integral approach to quantum gravity, inGeneral Relativity, an Einstein Centenary Survey, edited byS. W. Hawking andW. Israel (Cambridge University Press, Cambridge) 1979, p. 746.Google Scholar
- Gotay M. J., Isenberg J., Marsden J. E. andMontgomery R.,Momentum Mappings and the Hamiltonian Structure of Classical Field Theories with Constraints (Springer, Berlin) in press.Google Scholar
- Gionti G.,Constraints’ Theory and General Relativity, Thesis, University of Naples (1993).Google Scholar