Congenital heart disease in India: A status report
- 263 Downloads
Pediatric cardiac care in India is still in its infancy. We have no data on congenital heart disease (CHD) prevalence at birth or on proportional mortality from CHD. The resources are not only limited but also are at times improperly utilized. There are very few specialized pediatric cardiology training programs, those that are, are concentrated in certain regions of India and are often imparted through combined adult and pediatric programs. The existing number of trained personnel for pediatric cardiology and pediatric cardiac surgery is inadequate. Above all there is no national policy for pediatric heart care. Increasing awareness of the problem amongst the pediatricians through CMEs, seminars, symposia is likely to be most helpful in early diagnosis and timely referral of cases. Training programs exclusively dedicated to pediatric cardiology and pediatric cardiac surgery need to be established in centres with good standards of pediatric cardiac care.
Key wordsCongenital heart diseases Pediatric cardiology Pediatric cardiac surgery Pediatric cardiac care
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Fyler DC, Buckley LP, Hellenbrand WE, Cohn HE. Report of the New England Regional Infant Care Program.Pediatrics 1980; 65 Suppl: 375–461.Google Scholar
- 2.Abdulla RWhat is the prevalence of congenital heart diseases?Ped Cardiol 1997; 18: 268.Google Scholar
- 4.Shrestha NK, Padmavati S. Congenital heart disease in Delhi school children.Ind J Med Res 1980; 72:403–407.Google Scholar
- 5.Gupta I, Gupta ML, Parihar A, Gupta CD. Epidemiology of rheumatic and congenital heart disease in school children.J Indian Medical Assoc 1992; 90: 57–59.Google Scholar
- 6.Vashishtha VM, Kalra A, Kalra K, Jain VK. Prevalence of congenital heart disease in school children.Indian Ped 1993; 30: 1337–1340.Google Scholar
- 7.Khalil A, Aggarwal R, Thirupuram S, Arora R. Incidence of congenital heart disease among hospital live births in India.Indian Ped 1994; 31:519–527.Google Scholar
- 8.Thakur JS, Negi PC, Ahluwalia SK, Sharma R, Bhardwaj R. Congenital heart disease among school children in Shimla hills.India Heart J1995; 47: 232–235.Google Scholar
- 10.Census of India. 2001 report projected online at http:// www.censusindia.netGoogle Scholar
- 11.Kinare SG, Sharma S. Congenital heart disease in first year of life (an autopsy study of 270 cases).Indian J Ped 1981; 48: 745–754.Google Scholar
- 12.Sharma M, Saxena A, Kothari SS, Reddy SCB, Prabhakaran D, Juneja R, Wasir HS. Profile of congenital heart disease: an echocardiographic study of 5000 consecutive children (abstract).Indian Heart J1996; 48: 521.Google Scholar