The ADM Lagrangian in extrinsic gravity
- 37 Downloads
We consider the properties of the ADAM Lagrangian in the model for gravity based on extrinsic geometry recently developed. In this model the space-time is embedded into a space of more dimensions and the embedding functions are considered as dynamical variables. In spite of the naïve expectatives this Lagrangian depends only on first-order time derivatives of the fields, the embedding functions. This is a nice property since in this case on would expect an easy canonical formulation. Another nice property is the fact that the energy-momentum tensor is identically zero. The shift constraints are easily calculated; however, the lapse constraint has not been calculated since it relies on an involved matrix calculation. After fixing the gauge, this reflects in the impossibility of solving, even when the Legendre transformation is invertible, for the velocities. Furthermore, the gauged energy-momentum tensor is not a tensor density.
PACS04.50 Unified field theories and other theories of gravitation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- A. A. Logunov andYu. M. Loskutov:Fiz. Elem. Chastis At. Yadra,18, 429 (1987); English translation:Sov. J. Part. Nucl.,18, 179 (1987).Google Scholar
- L. D. Landau andE. M. Lifshtz:Teoriya Polyo (Nauka, Moskva, 1973); English translation:The Classical Theory of Fields (Pergamon, Oxford, 1979), 4th revised edition.Google Scholar
- V. Tapia: inTopics in Analysis, a volume dedicated to Cauchy, edited byTh. M. Rassias (World Scientific, Singapore, 1989).Google Scholar
- L. P. Eisenhart:Riemannian Geometry (Princeton University Press, Princeton, N.J., 1926).Google Scholar
- M. Janet:Ann. Soc. Polon. Math.,5, 38 (1926).Google Scholar
- E. Cartan:Ann. Soc. Polon. Math.,6, 38 (1927).Google Scholar
- T. Regge andC. Teitelboim:Proceedings of the First Marcel Grossman Meeting, Trieste, Italy, 1975, edited byR. Ruffini (North-Holland, Amsterdam, 1977).Google Scholar
- V. A. Fock:Teoriya Prostranstva, Vremeni i Tiagoteniya (Gosdarstvennoe Izdatelstvo Techniko-Teoreticheskoi Literaturi, Moskva, 1955); English translation:The Theory of Space, Time and Gravitation (Pergamon Press, Oxford, 1966), 2nd revised edition.Google Scholar
- R. Arnowitt, S. Deser andC. W. Misner:The Dynamics of General Relativity, inGravitation: an Introduction to Current Research, edited byL. Witten (Wiley, New York, N.Y., 1962).Google Scholar
- A. Hanson, T. Regge andC. Teitelboim:Constrained Hamiltonian Systems (Accademia Nazionale dei Lincei, Roma, 1976).Google Scholar
- P. A. M. Dirac:Lectures on Quantum Mechanics (Belfer Granduate School of Science, Yeshiva University, New York, N.Y., 1964).Google Scholar