Growth characteristics of cells cultured from two murine models of polycystic kidney disease
- 23 Downloads
Polycystic kidney disease (PKD) is characterized by multiple renal cysts that are lined by epithelium and filled with fluid. PKD may result from one of a number of factors, either inherited or environmental. In this study, we have compared two mouse models in which PKD results from a genetic cause. In the C57BL/6J-cpk model, the mutated gene is unknown. In the other model, an SV40 large T antigen transgene causes renal cysts. We examined cultured cells from the kidneys of these mouse models, comparing growth characteristics. Although several features of PKD lead one to expect that the epithelial cells lining the cysts would have an increased rate of proliferation in culture, we found that they did not. The implications of these findings are discussed.
Key wordspolycystic kidney disease proliferation murine models of PKD growth rates
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Gattone, V. H., II; Grantham, J. J. Understanding human cystic disease through experimental models. Seminars Nephrol. 11:617–631; 1991.Google Scholar
- Grantham, J. J.; Herron, K. G. An overview of polycystic kidney disease and acquired cystic kidney disease: neoplasia in disguise. Adv. Urol. 3:53–69; 1990.Google Scholar
- Kelly, K. A.; Agarwal, N.; Reeders, S., et al. Renal cyst formation and multifocal neoplasia in transgenic mice carrying the SV40 early region. J. Am. Soc. Nephrol. 2:84–97; 1991.Google Scholar
- Russell, E. S.; McFarland, E. C. Cystic kidneys (CK). The Mouse Newsl. 56:40; 1977.Google Scholar
- Taub, M. Growth of primary and established kidney cell cultures in serum-free media. In: Barnes, D. W.; Sirbasku, D.; Sato, G., eds. Cell culture methods for molecular and cell biology. Vol. 3. New York Alan R. Liss; 1984:3–24.Google Scholar
- Torres, V. E.; Mujwid, D. K.; Johnson, C. M. Proliferative potential of cystderived epithelial cells in ADPKD. J. Am. Soc. Nephrol. 3:303; 1992.Google Scholar
- Welling, L. W.; Welling, D. J. Kinetics of cyst development in cystic renal disease. In: Cummings, N. B.; Klahr, S., eds. Chronic renal disease. New York: Plenum; 1985:95–104.Google Scholar