Evaluation of national nutritional anemia prophylaxis programme
- 127 Downloads
An evaluation of the National Nutritional Anemia Prophylaxis Program was carried out in Andhra Pradesh. About 8,000 respondents from about 5,754 households were interviewed and 487 pregnant women were covered for haemoglobin estimation in six selected districts. Nearly 19 per cent of the pregnant women had received folifer tablets, while about 1 per cent of child beneficiaries were receiving the tablets. The acceptance of the programme by the community appeared to be satisfactory. The reasons for poor coverage were reported to be inadequate and irregular supplies. Results indicated that the health functionaries were not properly oriented towards the programme, as many of them were not aware of all the beneficiaries under the programme. Chemical analysis of the tablets indicated that about 30 per cent of the tablet samples had iron content less than the expected levels, and none of them had expected levels of folic acid content.
Key wordsNutritional anemia National programme Anemia prophylaxis Pregnant women
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Gopalan C, Vijayaraghavan K.Nutrition Atlas of India. National Institute of Nutrition,Indian Council of Medical Research 1971; 4–5.Google Scholar
- 2.Prema K, Neela Kumari S, RamalakshmiBA. Anemia and adverse obstetric out-come.Nutr Rep Int 1981; 23: 637–643.Google Scholar
- 5.Sivaprasad J. Leucocyte function in iron deficiency anemia.Am J Clin Nutr 1979; 32: 550–552.Google Scholar
- 6.Prophylaxis against Nutritional Anemia among mothers and children. Technical Information, MCH No. 1,Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of lndia l970;3.Google Scholar
- 7.Measurement of iron status.A report of the International Nutritional Anemia Consultative Group (INACG), Nutrition Foundation, Inc., 1126, Sixteenth Street, N.W. Washington D.C. 20036 (USA) 1985:4.Google Scholar
- 8.Vogel AI.A Text Book of Quantitative Inorganic Analysis, 2nd ed. London and New York: Longmans, Green and Co, 1951:307.Google Scholar
- 9.Wong SY. Calorimetric determination of iron and haemoglobin in blood II.J Biol Chem 1928; 77: 409.Google Scholar
- 10.Gyorgy P, Pearson WN.The Vitamins, New York and London: Academic Press,. 1967: 245.Google Scholar