Structure-property relationships of some polyfluoroether coatings
- 68 Downloads
A series of fluorinated coatings suitable for low temperature curing can be obtained by the proper combination of fluoropolyether macromers with the cyclic trimers of HDI and IPDI. In all cases they are characterised by general excellent surface properties (easy cleanability, and antigraffiti performances), good weatherability and chemical resistance. Mechanical properties can be adjusted by proper selection of the polyisocyanate or mixing (formulation) of the single resins, typically the IPDI macromer gives harder coatings with very short tack-free times, while the HDI-based materials have a better abrasion resistance and reactivity at low temperature. Many mechanical and surface properties of Fluorobase Z coatings can be correlated to their distinctive polyphase nature. In particular, the high molecular mobility of the fluoropolyether chains linked to polar functions and their enrichment in the top layer of the coating surface may be one of the reasons for the excellent stain release properties.
Applications may include any sector where a high durability and protection effect are required.
KeywordsHALS Butyl Acetate Polyurethane Coating Hexamethylene Diisocyanate Isophorone Diisocyanate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Sianesi D, Marchionni G, DePasquale RJ, Banks RE et al Eds, Organo-Fluorine Chemistry: Principles and Commercial Applications, 20, 1994.Google Scholar
- 2.Boutevin B and Robin JJ,Adv. Polym. Sci.,102, 105, 1992.Google Scholar
- 5.Turri S, Scicchitano M, Simeone G and Tonelli C,proceedings of XXII International Conference in Organic Coatings, Vouliagmeni, July 1–5, 369–383, 1996.Google Scholar
- 6.Temtchenko T, Marchetti R, Maccone P and Radice S,proceedings of 3rd conference in High Performance Coating Materials: Fluorine in Coatings II, paper 20, Munich, February 1997.Google Scholar
- 8.Burton AFM, Handbook of Solubility Parameters, CRC Press, Boca Raton, 1991.Google Scholar
- 9.Meeten GH,Optical Properties of Polymers, Amsterdam, 1986.Google Scholar
- 10.Chan CM, Polymer Surface Modification and Characterization,Hanser Publishers, 1994.Google Scholar
- 11.Turri S, Scicchitano M, Sanguineti A and Radice S, Fluoropolymers: Synthesis and Properties,Plenum publishing, 1998.Google Scholar
- 13.Gauntt DL, Clark KG, Hirst DJ and Hegedus CR,J. Coat. Technol.,63, 25, 1991.Google Scholar