Tidal interactions in binary stellar systems
- 28 Downloads
The tidal interactions in binary stellar systems are studied under the assumption that the orbital motion of the binary is negligible in comparison with the stellar motion. By integrating over time the tidal forces acting on the stars, the energy changes are derived. These are used to obtain simple analytical expressions for the rates of disruption and merging. This method gives appropriate value for the Roche density ρr and it is found that the disruption rate of a satellite of density ρ changes drastically at ρ ρR A comparison is made with earlier results obtained under the simplifying assumption that stellar motion is negligible in comparison with the orbital motion of the binary and its implications are discussed.
Key wordsstellar dynamics Roche density interacting galaxies
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Goldstein, H. 1950,Classical Mechanics, Addison-Wesley, Massachusetts, p. 78.Google Scholar
- Kormendy, J. 1982, inMorphology and Dynamics of Galaxies, Eds L. Martinet & M. Mayor, Geneva Observatory, p. 113.Google Scholar
- Larson, R. B. 1976, inGalaxies, Eds L. Martinet & M. Mayor, Geneva Observatory, p. 69.Google Scholar
- Miller, R. H. 1984, ESO Preprint No. 343.Google Scholar
- Ostriker, J. P., Caldwell, J. A. R. 1979, inIAU Symp. 84;The Largescale Characteristics of the Galaxy, Ed. W. B. Burton, D. Reidel, Dordrecht, p. 441.Google Scholar
- Ramamarti, í., Meinya Singh, T.,Alladin, S.Ì. 1984,inIAU Symp. 106:The Milky Way Galaxy, (submitted).Google Scholar
- Schmidt, Ì. 1965, inGalactic Structure, Eds A. Blaauw & M. Schmidt, p.513.Google Scholar
- Toomre, á. 1977, inThe Evolution of Galaxies and Stellar Populations, Eds B. M. Ì.Tinsley & R. B. Larson, Yale University Observatory, p.401.Google Scholar
- Tremaine, S.D.1981,TheStructure and Evolution of Normal Galaxies, Eds S. M. Fall & D. Lynden-Bell, Cambridge University Press, p. 67.Google Scholar
- White, S. D. M. 1983a, inIAU Symp. 100;Internal Kinematics and Dynamics of Galaxies, Ed. å. Athanassoula, D. Reidel, Dordrecht, p. 337.Google Scholar