Hollow fibers can accelerate conductive filament formation
- 63 Downloads
Increases in failures due to internal board shorting by conductive filament formation have driven glass and laminate manufacturers to consider screens and qualification tests to assess the hollow fiber concentration of circuit cards. This article describes the hollow fiber problem, methods to deter conductive filament formation, a hollow fiber screening technique, and the impact of next generation technology on conductive filament failure mechanism.
Keywordsconductive filament formation hollow fiber laminate printed wiring board
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.M. Pecht, C. Hillman, K. Rogers, and D. Jennings:Conductive Filament Formation: A Potential Reliability Issue in Laminated Printed Circuit Cards with Hollow Fibers, Vol. 22. No. 1, IEEE/CPMT, New York, NY, 1999, pp. 80–84.Google Scholar
- 3.K. Rogers, P.V.D. Driessche, C. Hillman, and M. Pecht:Printed Circuit Fabrication, 1999, vol. 22(4), pp. 34–38.Google Scholar
- 4.Anand A. Shukla, Terrance J. Dishongh, Michael Pecht, and David Jennings:Printed Circuit Fabrication, 1997, vol. 20(1), pp. 30–32.Google Scholar
- 6.Balu S. Rudra and Michael Pecht:IEEE Transactions on Components, Packaging and Manufacturing Techniques, Part B, vol. 17(3), IEEE, New York, NY, 1994, pp. 269–76.Google Scholar
- 8.M. Li, M. Pecht, and L. Wang: inProceedings of the INTER-pack’95, T.R. Hsu, A. Bar-Cohen, and W. Nakayama, eds., ASME, New York, NY, 1995, pp. 517–27.Google Scholar
- 9.B. Rudra and D. Jennings:IEEE Transactions on Reliability, vol. 43(3), IEEE, New York, NY, 1994, pp. 354–60.Google Scholar
- 10.M. Pecht, B. Wu, and D. Jennings:13th IEEE International Electronics Manufacturing Technology Symposium, IEEE, New York, NY, 1992, pp. 74–79.Google Scholar
- 11.Simeon J. Krumbein:IEEE Trans. Components, Hybrids. Manufacturing. Technology, vol. CHMT-11, IEEE, New York, NY, 1988, pp. 5–15.Google Scholar
- 13.K.L. Loewenstein:The Manufacturing Technology of Continuous Glass Fibres, 2nd ed., Vol. 6, Elsevier Science Publishers, Amsterdam, 1983, pp. 25–50.Google Scholar
- 14.J.P. Mitchell and T.L. Weisher: inProceedings of the Printed Circuit World Convention II, Eugen G. Leuze Verlag, Saulgau/Wurtt, West Germany, 1981, p. 80.Google Scholar
- 15.D.J. Lando, J.P. Mitchell and T.L. Weisher: in17th Annual Proceedings of the International Reliability Physics Symposium, IEEE, New York, NY, 1979, p. 51.Google Scholar