The pulmonary vasculitides are a heterogeneous group of diseases characterized by inflammation and sometimes destruction of blood vessels. Most occur as part of a disseminated process, but some are confined to lung. While an etiologic classification is preferable, one approach is to consider these diseases in order of frequency of lung involvement. The pathogenesis of pulmonary vasculitis is not known, but current data suggest that acute vasculitic syndromes are caused by immune-complex deposition and activation of the complement cascade. The chronic and granulomatous vasculitic syndromes may be associated with alterations in cellular-mediated immunity. A brief overview of the major vasculitic syndromes and their management is presented.
Key wordsPulmonary vasculitis Pulmonary granulomatosis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 9.Churt J, Strauss L (1951) Allergic granulomatosis, allergic angiitis, and periarteritis nodosa. Am J Pathol 27:277–301Google Scholar
- 21.Horton BT, Magath TB, Brown GE (1932) An undescribed form of arteritis of the temporal vessels. Mayo Clin Proc 7:700–706Google Scholar
- 23.Ingue T, Kanayama Y, Ohe A, Kato N, Horiguchi T, Ishii M, Jhiota K (1979) Immunopathologic studies of pneumonitis in systemic lupus erythematosus. Ann Intern Med 91:30–34Google Scholar
- 24.Isreal HL, Patchefsky AS, Saldana MJ (1977) Wegener’s granulomatosis, lymphomatoid granulomatosis, and benign lymphocytic angiitis and granulomatosis of lung. Ann Intern Med 87:691–699Google Scholar
- 25.Karam GH, Fulmer JD (1982) Giant cell arteritis presenting as interstitial lung disease. Chest 2:781–784Google Scholar
- 27.Koren HS, Anderson SI, Fischer DG (1981) Regulation of human natural killing lymphocytes. I. Role of monocytes, interferon, and prostaglandins. J Immunol 127:7007–7013Google Scholar
- 28.Kuhn H, Ponicke K, Halli W, Schewl T, Forster T (1983) Evidence for the presence of lipoxygenase pathway in cultured endothelial cells. Biomed Biochem Acta 42:K1-K4Google Scholar
- 39.Sargent JS, Lockshin MD, Christian CL, Gocke DJ (1976) Vasculitis with hepatitis-B antigenemia: Long term observations in nine patients. Merdicine 55:1–18Google Scholar