Interaction between an 8-methoxypyrimido[4′,5′:4,5] thieno (2,3-b)quinoline-4(3H)one antitumour drug and deoxyribonucleic acid
- 43 Downloads
The interaction of 8-methoxypyrimido[4′,5′:4,5]thieno(2,3-b)quinoline-4(3H)one (MPTQ) with DNA was studied by UV-Vis and fluorescence spectrophotometry as well as by hydrodynamic methods. On binding to DNA, the absorption spectrum underwent bathochromic and hypochromic shifts and the fluorescence was quenched. Binding parameters, determined from spectrophotometric measurements by Scatchard analysis, indicated a binding constant of 3.56 × 106 M−1 for calf thymus DNA at ionic strength 0.01 M. Binding to the GC-rich DNA ofMicrococcus lysodeikticus was stronger than the binding to calf thymus DNA at ionic strength 0.01 M. The MPTQ increased the viscosity of sonicated rod-like DNA fragments, producing a calculated length of 2.4Å/bound MPTQ molecule. The binding of MPTQ to DNA increased the melting temperature by about 4 °C. This research offers a new intercalation functional group to DNA targetted drug design.
KeywordsDNA intercalative binding 8-methoxy pyrimido[4′,5′:4,5]thieno(2,3-b) quinoline-4(3H)one fluorescence quenching
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Hartwell J L and Abbot B J 1969 Antineoplastic principles in plants: recent developments in the field. InAdvances in pharmacology and chemotherapy 7th edn (eds) S Garrattini, A Goldin, F Hawking and I J Kopin (New York: Academic Press) p. 117Google Scholar
- 4.Gatto B, Capranico G and Palumbo M 1999Curr. Pharmacol. Design 5 195Google Scholar
- 6.Allard B, Jouini M, Bistocchi G A, Orvietani P L, Ricci A, Lescot E and Schwaller A 1995J. Chem. Res. 1314Google Scholar
- 8.Cao Y and He W X 1998Spectrochim. Acta A54 883Google Scholar
- 10.Tilak Raj T and Ambekar S Y 1988J. Chem. Res. 50 537Google Scholar
- 20.Yang J P 1991Introduction of bioinorganic chemistry (in Chinese) (Xi An: Xi An Jiao Tong University Publishers) p. 152Google Scholar
- 21.Chen G Z, Huang X Z, Xu J G, Zheng Z Z and Wang Z B 1990The analytical method of fluorescence (in Chinese) (Beijing: Science Publishers) p. 118Google Scholar
- 23.Mee S L, Pierre A, Markovits J, Atassi G, Sablon A J and Saucier J M 1998Mol. Pharmacol. 53 213Google Scholar
- 24.Maiti M, Nandi R and Chauduri K 1984Indian J. Biochem. Biophys. 21 158Google Scholar
- 27.Zuby G L 1988Biochemistry 2nd edn (New York: McMillan) p. 236Google Scholar
- 30.Schwaller M A, Aubard J and Dodin G 1988J. Biomol. Struct. Dyn. 6 443Google Scholar