Aromaticity in benzene-like rings — An experimental electron density investigation
- 146 Downloads
An experimental charge density study has been carried out on perylene based on X-ray diffraction measurements at 130 K. The electron density and its associated properties have been evaluated at the bond and the ring critical points for the naphthalene residues as well as for the central ring. The variation of the Laplacian along the axis, above and below the ring plane, is found to be symmetric for the central ring while for the naphthalene rings, the Laplacian values are enhanced under the bow-shaped region. A plot of the Laplacian versus density evaluated at various points along the axis above the ring plane, shows a steep variation in the case of the central ring implying that theπ-density is smeared out compared to that over the naphthalene rings. Similar data extracted from a quinoid ring and a regular phenyl ring (both based on earlier reports from this laboratory) exhibit increasingly shallower trends and indicate, by contrast, that the central ring of perylene is much less aromatic.
KeywordsPerylene aromaticity experimental electron density
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Klein D J 1989Pure Appl. Chem. 61 2107Google Scholar
- 6.Haigh C W and Mallion R B 1989Croat. Chem. Acta 62 1Google Scholar
- 9.Ranganathan A and Kulkarni G U 2002J. Phys. Chem. A106 7813Google Scholar
- 10.Farges J-P 1994 InOrganic conductors: Fundamentals and applications (New York: Marcel Dekker)Google Scholar
- 11.Camerman A and Trotter J 1964Proc. R. Soc. London A279 129Google Scholar
- 15.Hansen N K and Coppens P 1978Acta Crystallogr. A34 909Google Scholar
- 16.Allen F H, Kennard O, Watson D G, Brammer L, Orpen A G and Taylor R 1987J. Chem. Soc., Perkin Trans. 2 S1Google Scholar
- 17.Koritsanszky T, Howard S T, Richter T, Mallinson P R, Su Z and Hansen N K 1995 XD, A computer program package for multipole refinement and analysis of charge densities from diffraction data, Cardiff, Glasgow, Buffalo, Nancy, BerlinGoogle Scholar
- 18.Hirshfeld F L 1976Acta Crystallogr. A32 239Google Scholar