A new correlation for VLE data: Application to binary mixtures containing nitrogen
- 94 Downloads
Recently we proposed simple analytical expressions for the calculation of the equilibrium pressure, as well as the mole fractions of both liquid and vapor phases at the vapor-liquid equilibrium of binary mixtures. They are based on a recently proposed molecular model for the vapor pressure of pure non-polar fluids, which, for a given temperature, only requires as input the values of the two Lennard-Jones molecular parameters and the acentric factor, which are parameters related to the molecular shape of each substance, and whose values are readily available. The mixing rules contain adjustable parameters that must be obtained for each mixture. In this work, we test the applicability of the models for some mixtures containing nitrogen. In particular, we find that the calculation of mole fractions must be performed with particular care in some cases. We show that the model for the pressure clearly improves the results obtained with classical equations of state for most of the mixtures studied.
Key wordsBinary Mixtures Molecular Parameters Nitrogen Vapor-liquid Equilibrium
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cuadros, F., Mulero, A., Okrasinski, W., FaÚndez, C.A. and Parra, M. I., “VLE molecular thermodynamics of non polar fluids and their mixtures,”Int. Rev. Phys. Chem.,19, 387 (2003).Google Scholar
- DIPPR (Design Institute for Physical Property Data) files, American Institute of Chemical Engineers (1996).Google Scholar
- Dodge, B. F. (1926) In:Vapor-liquid data collection, Gmehling, J., Onken, U., Arlt, M. (Eds.), DECHEMA, Frankfurt am Main (1982).Google Scholar
- FaÚndez, C. A., Tamblay, L. E. and Valderrama, J. O., “A molecular model for correlating vapor-liquid equilibrium of propane+hydrocarbon mixtures,”Korean J. Chem. Eng.,21, 1199 (2004).Google Scholar
- Gmehling, J., Onken, U. and Arlt, M. (Eds.),Vapor-liquid data collection, DECHEMA, Frankfurt am Main (1982).Google Scholar
- Poling, B. E., Prausnitz, J.M. and O’Connell, J. P.,The properties of gases and liquids, Fifth Edition, McGraw-Hill Book Co., New York (2001).Google Scholar
- Poston, R. S. and McKetta, J. J. (1966) In:Vapor-liquid data collection, Gmehling, J., Onken, U., Arlt, M. (Eds.), DECHEMA, Frankfurt am Main (1982).Google Scholar