Development, structure and strength properties of PP/PMMA/FA blends
- 183 Downloads
A new type of flyash filled PP/PMMA blend has been developed. Structural and thermal properties of flyash (FA) filled polypropylene (PP)/polymethyl methacrylate (PMMA) blend system have been determined and analysed. Filled polymer blends were developed on a single screw extruder. Strength and thermal properties of FA filled and unfilled PP/PMMA blends were determined. Addition of flyash imparted dimensional and thermal stability, which has been observed in scanning electron micrographs and in TGA plot. Increase of flyash concentration increased the initial degradation temperature of PP/PMMA blend. The increase of thermal stability has been explained based on increased mechanical interlocking of PP/PMMA chains inside the hollow structure of flyash.
KeywordsFlyash polymer composite morphology particulate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bueche F 1962Physical properties of polymers (New York: Interscience Publishers)Google Scholar
- Frank H P 1968 ‘Polypropylene’polymer monographs (New York: Gordon and Breach Science)Vol 2 Google Scholar
- Glenz W 1986Kunstoffe 76 834Google Scholar
- Hashmi SAR 1996Development of redmud filled polymer composite and their rheological, tribological and mechanical properties, Ph.D. Thesis, Barkatullah University, BhopalGoogle Scholar
- Nielsen L E 1974Mechanical properties of polymers and composites (New York: Marcell Dekker)Vols 1 & 2 Google Scholar