Oxidative coupling of methane over Na+-ZrO2-C1-/Al2O3 catalysts
- 75 Downloads
Oxidative coupling of methane (OCM) was carried out over Na+-ZrO2-Cl /A1[2O3 catalysts in a temperature range from 1023 to 1123 K. The catalysts were prepared by impregnating the α- or γ-Al2O3 supports with sodium carbonate and/or zirconyl chloride. The OCM activity was examined using the catalysts prepared by three different preparation procedures. The best catalyst was the one prepared by subsequent impregnation of sodium carbonate-preimpregnated γ-Al2O3 with a mixed solution of sodium carbonate and zirconyl chloride. It was found that preimpregnated sodium played an important role in reducing the combustion activity of the γ-Al2O3. The catalyst with an optimal composition showed the highest C2 selectivity and yield of 40.8% and 15.1%, respectively. From the X-ray diffraction analysis it was found that tetragonal ZrO2 was formed and that NaCl existed in the catalysts with relatively high sodium contents.
Key wordsAlumina-Supported Methane Oxidative Coupling Sodium Chloride Zirconia
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Chang, J.-S. and Park, S.-E., “Methane Conversion over Supported Lead Oxide Catalysts”,J. Korean Chem, Soc.,36(1), 147 (1992).Google Scholar
- Hinsen, W., Bytyn, W. and Baerns, M., “Oxidative Dehydrogenation and Coupling of Methane” , Proc. 8th Int. Congr. Catal., Berlin, Vol. III, 581 (1984).Google Scholar
- Hutchings, G. J. and Scurrell, M. S., “Studies of the Mechanism of the Oxidative Coupling of Methane Using Oxide Catalysts”, in “Methane Conversion by Oxidative Processes: Fundamental and Engineering Aspects (Wolf, E. E., Ed.), Van Nostrand Reinhold, New York, 200 (1992).Google Scholar
- Khan, A. Z. and Ruckenstein, E., “Oxidative Coupling of Methane over Alkali Metal Chloride Promoted Zirconia”,Appl. Catat. A,90, 199 (1992).Google Scholar
- Sohn, J. R., Kim, H. W. and Pae, Y. I., “Characterization of ZrO2 Catalyst Modified with Phosphoric Acid or Boric Acid”,Hwahak Konghak,27, 3 (1989).Google Scholar
- Tung, H. L. and Yoon, K. J., “Oxidative Coupling of Methane over NaCl-Promoted ZrO2/SiO[2 Catalysts”, Proc. 5th Korea-Japan Symp. Catal., Taejon, 49 (1995).Google Scholar