Desulfurization in a plate-type gas-lift photobioreactor using light emitting diodes
- 55 Downloads
Hydrogen sulfide gas was removed in a 2-dimensional gas-lift reactor by the photosynthetic microorganismChlorobium thiosulfatophilum using light emitting diodes (LEDs) as a light source. LEDs saved light energy by 99% compared with the incandescent light source. The plate-type gas-lift reactor removed hydrogen sulfide five times better per unit mg of protein, and performed two times better in the maximum performance per unit luminous flux, compared with cylindrical fermentors.
Key wordsPhotosynthetic Desulfurization Light Energy LED Plate-type Reactor
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Amick, C. L., Illumination (Sect. 26), In Fink, D. G. and Beaty, H. W. (ed.), “Standard Handbook for Electrical Engineers” (12th ed.), McGraw Hill Co., New York, 1987.Google Scholar
- Bradford, M. M., “A Rapid and Sensitive Method for the Quantification of Microgram Quantities of Protein Utilizing the Principle of Protein Dye Binding”,Anal. Chem. 72, 248 (1976).Google Scholar
- Buisman, C. J. N., Geraats, B. G., Ijspeert, P. and Lettinga, G., “Optimization of Sulphur Production in a Biotechnological Sulphideremoving Reactor”,Biotechnol. Bioeng., 35, 50 611Google Scholar
- Cork, D. J., Garunas, R. and Sajjad, A.,“Chlorobium limicola formathiosulfatophilum: Biocatalyst in the Production of Sulfur and Organic Carbon from a Gas Stream Containing H2S and CO2 ′,Appl. Environ. Microbiol.,45, 913 (1983).Google Scholar
- Greenberg, A. E., Connors, J. J. and Jenkins, D. (ed.), “Standard Method for the Examination of Water and Wastewater”, 15th edition, American Public Health Association, Washington, DC, 1981.Google Scholar
- Koch, H. P., “Absorption Spectra and Structure of Organic Sulfur Compounds”, Part II.J. Chem. Soc., 394 (1949).Google Scholar
- Wang, D. I. C., Cooney, C. L., Demain, A. L., Dunnill, P., Humphrey, A. E. and Lilly, M. D., “Fermentation and Enzyme Technology”, John Wiley and Sons, Inc., 161 (1979).Google Scholar