Agglomeration behavior of anhydrous L-ornithine-L-aspatate crystals during semi-batch drowning-out crystallization
- 211 Downloads
Crystallization of L-ornithine-L-aspartate (LOLA) by drowning out was carried out to produce the anhydrous form of agglomerates. The primary crystal size in the agglomerate remained unchanged after completion of the crystallization. The LOLA aqueous solution introduced into the system was immediately dispersed and cluster coagulated on the surface of the crystals. On the surface of the crystals, a cluster reached critical nuclei size, nucleated and intergrowth to form agglomerates. It was proposed that a spherical agglomeration occurred during secondary nucleation by coagulation model and intergrowth. The agglomerates size and size distribution were varied with the process parameters. The agglomerate sizes of LOLA crystals appeared to be ruled not only by secondary nucleation rate but also by the mass of suspended agglomerates. Moreover, the agglomeration rates of fine particles were higher than the agglomeration rates of large agglomerates. Using these properties, the uniform agglomerates size distribution could be obtained.
Key wordsDrowning-Out L-Ornithine-L-Aspartate Pseudopolymorph Agglomeration Impurity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Brittain, H. G.,Polymorphism in pharmaceutical solids, Marcel Dekker, New York (1999).Google Scholar
- Chulia, D., Deleuil, M. and Pourcelot, Y.,Powder technology and pharmaceutical processes, Elsevier, Amsterdam (1994).Google Scholar
- Kim, Y. H., Haam, S., Shul, Y. G., Kim, W. S., Jung, J. K., Eun, H.-C. and Koo, K.-K., “Pseudopolymorphic crystallization of L-ornithine-L-aspartate by drowning out,”I&EC,42, 883 (2003).Google Scholar
- Kim, Y. H., Hyung, W. C., Haam, S. J. and Koo, K. K., “The effect of initial precipitates on the induction period of L-ornithine-L-aspartate during semi-batch drowning out crystallization,”J. of Crystal Growth, In press (2006).Google Scholar
- Mulline, J. W.,Crystallization, Butterworth-Heinemann, London (1993).Google Scholar
- Myerson, A. S.,Handbook of industrial crystallization, Butterworth-Heinemann, London (1993).Google Scholar
- Randolph, A. D. and Larson, M. A.,Theory of particulate processes, Academic press (1971).Google Scholar
- Rose, C., Michalak, A., Rao, K. V., Quack, G., Kircheis, G. and Butterworth, R. F., “L-Ornithine-L-aspartate lowers plasma and cerebrospinal fluid ammonia and prevents brain edema in rats with acute liver failure,”Hepatology (Baltimore, Md.),30(3), 636 (1999).Google Scholar
- Wolfgang, B., “Nucleation phenomena during the crystallization and precipitation of aecarnil,”J. of Crystal Growth,198–199, 1307 (1999).Google Scholar