Galactose/N-acetylgalactosamine lectin: The coordinator of host cell killing
- 106 Downloads
Entamoeba histolytica is an enteric parasite that can kill host cells via a contact-dependent mechanism. This killing involves the amoebic surface protein referred to as the Gal/GalNAc lectin. The Gal/GalNAc lectin binds galactose and N-acetylgalactosamine allowing the adherence of amoebas to host cells. Involvement of the lectin in the pathogenesis ofE. histolytica infection will be reviewed in this paper. The lectin has been shown to have very specific and substantial effects on adherence, cytotoxicity, and encystation. There is also possible involvement of the lectin in phagocytosis and caspase activation in host cells.
KeywordsEntamoeba histolytica Gal/GalNAc lectin host cell killing
carbohydrate recognition domain
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Arhets P, Olivo J C, Gounon P, Sansonetti P and Guillen N 1998 Virulence and functions of myosin II are inhibited by overexpression of light meromyosin inEntamoeba histolytica;Mol. Biol. Cell 6 1537–1547Google Scholar
- Cheng X J, Hughes M A, Huston C D, Loftus B, Gilchrist C A, Lockhart L A, Ghosh S, Miller-Sims V, Mann B J, Petri W A Jr and Tachibana A 2001 Intermediate subunit of the Gal/ GalNAc lectin ofEntamoeba histolytica is a member of a gene family containing multiple CXXC sequence motifs;Infect. Immun. 69 5892–5898PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- DeMeester F, Shaw E, Scholze H, Stolarsky T and Mirelman D 1990 Specific labeling of cysteine proteinases in pathogenic and non-pathogenicEntamoeba histolytica;Infect. Immun. 58 1396–1401Google Scholar
- Dodson J M, Lenkowski P W Jr, Eubanks A C, Jackson T F H G, Napodano J, Lyerly D M, Lockhart L A, Mann B J and Petri W A Jr 1999 Infection and immunity mediated by the carbohydrate recognition domain of theEntamoeba histolytica Gal/GalNAc lectin;J. Infect. Dis. 179 460–466PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Padilla-Vaca F, Ankri S, Bracha R, Koole L A and Mirelman D 1999 Downregulation ofEntamoeba histolytica virulence by monoxenic cultivation withEscherichia coli 055 is related to a decrease in expression of the light (35 kilodalton) subunit of the Gal/GalNAc lectin;Infect. Immun. 67 2096–2102PubMedGoogle Scholar