Dielectric measurements on PWB materials at microwave frequencies
In quest of finding new substrate for printed wiring board (PWB) having low dielectric constant, we have made PSF/PMMA blends and evaluated the dielectric parameters at 8.92 GHz frequency and at 35°C temperature. Incorporating PMMA in PSF matrix results in reduced dielectric constant than that of pure PSF. The dielectric parameters of pure PMMA and PSF films of different thicknesses have also been obtained at microwave frequencies. We have used dielectric data at microwave frequencies as a tool to evaluate optical constants, absorption index ‘K’ and refractive index ‘n’. The blends of PSF/PMMA may be used as base materials for PWBs.
KeywordsDielectric constant PWB dielectric loss absorption index
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Araktingi I and Hoard R 1999Proceedings of IPC Expo. ’99 (Long Beach, California: Bannockburn, IL: IPC Org.)Google Scholar
- Bahl I and Ely K 1990Microwave J. 33 131Google Scholar
- Baker-Jarvis J and Janezic M D 1994Proc. microwave processing of materials IV (Pittsburgh, USA: Mater. Res. Soc.)347 p. 215Google Scholar
- Baker-Jarvis J, Janezic M D, Grosvenor J H and Geyer R G 1994 Natl. Inst. Stand. Technol. NIST Tech. Note 1355Google Scholar
- Baker-Jarvis J, Janezic M D, Riddle B and Holloway C L 2001 Natl. Inst. Stand. Technol. NIST Tech. Note 1520Google Scholar
- Chang C S and Agrawal A P 1994IEEE Comp. Hybrids Mfg. Technol. 17 564Google Scholar
- Dube D C 1984Bull. Mater. Sci. 6 1075Google Scholar
- Eftekhari A, St. Clair A K, Stoakley D M, Kuppa S and Sing J J 1992J. Polym. Mater. Sci. Eng. 66 279Google Scholar
- Khare P K, Gaur M S and Srivastava A P 1993Indian J. Pure & Appl. Phys. 31 102Google Scholar
- Singh J J, St. Clair T L, Holt W H and Mock W 1985 NASA Tech. Memo 86431Google Scholar
- Vankrevelen D W and Hoftyzer P J 1976Properties of polymers (Amsterdam: Elsevier Scientific Publishing Company)Google Scholar