Kinetics and mechanism of the oxidation of formic and oxalic acids by benzyltrimethylammonium dichloroiodate
- 40 Downloads
The oxidation of formic and oxalic acids by benzyltrimethylammonium dichloroiodate (BTMACI), in the presence of zinc chloride, leads to the formation of carbon dioxide. The reaction is first order with respect to BTMACI, zinc chloride and organic acid. Oxidation of deuteriated formic acid indicates the presence of a kinetic isotope effect. Addition of benzyltrimethylammonium chloride enhances the rate. It is proposed that the reactive oxidizing species is [(PhCH2Me3N)+ (IZn2Cl6)-]. Suitable mechanisms have been proposed.
KeywordsPolyhalogens benzytrimethylammonium dichloroiodate organic acids
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Mitra S and Sreekumar K 1997Indian J. Chem. B36 133Google Scholar
- 7.Rao P S C, Suri D, Kothari S and Banerji K K 1998J. Chem. Res. (S) 510, (M) 2251Google Scholar
- 8.Goswami G, Kothari S and Banerji K K 1999Indian J. Chem. B38 1270Google Scholar
- 10.Orton K J P and Bradfield A 1924J. Chem. Soc. 960; Orton K J P and Bradfield A 1927J. Chem. Soc. 983Google Scholar
- 11.Downs A J and Adams C J 1973Comprehensive inorganic chemistry (eds) JC Bailer, HJ Emeleus, R N Yholm and A F Tritman-Dickenson (Oxford: Pergamon) vol. 2, p. 1344Google Scholar
- 12.Supplement to Mellor’s comprehensive treatise on inorganic and theoritical chemistry 1956 (eds) H VA Briscoe, A A Eldridge and G M Dyson (London: Longmans) vol. 2, p. 500Google Scholar
- 13.Chaikovski V K, Kharlova T S, Filimonov V D and Saryucheva T A 1999Synthesis 748Google Scholar
- 14.Cotton F A, Duraj S A, Extine M W, Lewis G E, Roth W J, Schmulbach C D and Schwotzer W 1983J. Chem. Soc., Chem. Commun. 13Google Scholar
- 15.Emeleus H J 1973Inorganic chemistry (London: Butterworths) vol. 1, p. 53Google Scholar