In this contribution we review recent progress in understanding fluctuations in the aging process of macroscopic systems, and we propose further tests of these ideas. We discuss how the emergence of a symmetry in aging systems, global timereparametrization invariance, could be responsible for the observed ‘universal’ behavior of local and mesoscopic non-equilibrium fluctuations. We discuss (i) the two-time scaling and functional form of the distribution of local correlations and responses; (ii) the scaling of multi-time correlations and susceptibilities; (iii) how the above can be derived from a random surface effective action; (iv) the behavior of a diverging two-time dependent correlation length; (v) how these ideas apply to off-lattice particle systems.
KeywordsGlasses non-equilibrium dynamics
PACS Nos75.10.Nr 75.10.Jm 75.10.Hk 05.30.-d
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [1a]J P Bouchaud, L F Cugliandolo, J Kurchan and M Mézard, inSpin glasses and random fields edited by A P Young (World Scientific, Singapore, 1998)Google Scholar
- [1b]L F Cugliandolo, inSlow relaxation and non-equilibrium dynamics in condensed matter edited by J-L Barratet al (Springer-Verlag, 2002), cond-mat/0210312Google Scholar
- R E Courtland and E R Weeks,J. Phys. C15, S359 (2003)Google Scholar
- L Buisson, S Ciliberto and A Garcimartin, cond-mat/0306462Google Scholar
- [8a]L Cipelletti, H Bissig, V Trappe, P Ballestat and S Mazoyer,J. Phys. C15, S257 (2003)Google Scholar
- [8b]H Bässig, V Trappe, S Romer and L Cipelletti, cond-mat/0301265Google Scholar
- [9b]For a recent study list of references: Dynamic heterogeneities in the aging Coulomb glass have been studied in A Kolton, D R Grempel and D Domínguez (unpublished); and in an aging Lennard-Jones binary mixture in K Vollmayr-Lee, W Kob, K Binder and A Zippelius,J. Chem. Phys. 116, 5158 (2002)CrossRefADSGoogle Scholar
- C Chamon, P Charbonneau, L F Cugliandolo, D R Reichman and M Sellitto, condmat/0401326Google Scholar
- Vik Dotsenko, M V Fielgel’man and L B Ioffe, Spin-glasses and related problems, inSoviet scientific reviews (Harwood, 1990) Vol. 15Google Scholar
- [22a]Its stationary limit has been studied analytically in the context of thep spin disordered model and mode-coupling theory in S Franz and G Parisi,J. Phys. C12, 6335 (2000);Google Scholar