The use of hydrothermal methods in the synthesis of novel open-framework materials
The preparation of inorganic compounds, exhibiting open-framework structures, by hydrothermal methods has been presented. To illustrate the efficacy of this approach, few select examples encompassing a wide variety and diversity in the structures have been provided. In all the cases, good quality single crystals were obtained, which were used for the elucidation of the structure. In the first example, simple inorganic network compounds based on phosphite and arsenate are described. In the second example, inorganic-organic hybrid compounds involving phosphite/arsenate along with oxalate units are presented. In the third example, new coordination polymers with interesting structures are given. The examples presented are representative of the type and variety of compounds one can prepare by careful choice of the reaction conditions.
KeywordsHydrothermal methods open-framework single crystal XRD
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Barrer R M 1948J. Chem. Soc. 2158Google Scholar
- 2.Barrer R M 1982Hydrothermal chemistry of zeolites (London: Academic Press)Google Scholar
- 3.Rao CNR, Natarajan S and Vaidhyanathan R 2004Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 42 1426Google Scholar
- 5.SMART (V 5.628), SAINT (V 6.45a), XPREP, SHELXTL, Bruker AXS Inc. Madison, Wisconsin, USA, 2004Google Scholar
- 6.Sheldrick G M 1994Siemens area correction absorption correction program. University of Göttingen, Göttingen, GermanyGoogle Scholar
- 7.Sheldrick G M 1997SHELXL-97 program for crystal structure solution and refinement, University of Göttingen, Göttingen, GermanyGoogle Scholar
- 9.Brown I D and Altermatt D 1985Acta Crystallogr. B41 244Google Scholar
- 13.Natarajan S 2002Chem. Commun. 780Google Scholar
- 14.Thomas J M, Jones R H, Xu R, Chen J, Chippindale A M, Natarajan S and Cheetham A K 1992J. Chem. Soc, Chem. Commun. 929Google Scholar
- 15.Jones R H, Thomas J M, Xu R, Huo Q, Cheetham A K and Powell A V 1991J. Chem. Soc, Chem. Commun. 1266Google Scholar
- 17.Férey G 1995J. Fluorine Chem. 72 187Google Scholar
- 20.Choudhury A, Natarajan S and Rao C N R 1999Chem. Commun. 1305Google Scholar