It is advisable and better to consider noise control measures at the design stage itself rather than after the product is manufactured and installed. The present paper describes some of the control measures that can be incorporated during the design of machines and structures. Vibration control, barriers and enclosures can be used for noise control and should be considered at the design stage. Acoustical materials which can be used for noise control purpose have been described. Some examples of noise-reducing designs are also given.
KeywordsNoise control vibration control barriers to noise noise-free enclosures acoustical materials noise-reducing designs
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Anon 1982Noise control (Naerum, Denmark: Brüel & Kjaer)Google Scholar
- Mehta M 1991 How to drop the ceiling on fan noise.Machine Design 24: 103–106Google Scholar
- Rohrle M D 1975 Affecting diesel engine noise by the piston. SAE paper No. 750799: 1985–2001Google Scholar
- Tandon N, Nakra B C 1994 Sound intensity technique and noise diagnostics.Eng. Design, J. Natl. Design Res. Forum Inst. Eng. India 25: 25–30Google Scholar
- Ubhe D R 1996Vibration and noise control of engine driven portable generator set. M Tech thesis, Indian Institute of Technology, DelhiGoogle Scholar