Immobilization and properties of β-D-galactosidase fromLactobacillus bulgaricus
β-D-galactosidase (EC 188.8.131.52) fromLactobacillus bulgaricus (1373) was immobilized by entrapment in a Polyacrylamide gel lattice. The enzymatic properties of the immobilized β-galactosidase were compared with those of the native enzyme. The temperature and pH optima were not affected by the immobilization. After entrapment of the enzyme no significant change was observed in its thermostability. The pH stability of the immobilized enzyme was higher than that of the native enzyme on the acidic side. TheK m values for the immobilized and native β-galactosidase with both lactose ando-nitrophenyl-β-D-galactoside as substrates were comparable. The immobilized enzyme could be repeatedly used 12 times without any loss of activity. No loss in the activity of the immobilized β-galactosidase was found after its storage for 30 days at 4°C and for 20 days at 25°C.
KeywordsImmobilized β-galactosidase Lactobacillus bulgaricus acrylamide gel entrapment kinetic properties
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bernfield, P., Bieber, R. E. and Watson, D. M. (1969)Biochem. Biophys. Acta. 191, 570.Google Scholar
- Kobayashi. T. and Moo-Young. M. (1972)Can. J. Chem. Engg. 50, (cited:Biochemistry. 11,4477, 1972).Google Scholar
- Makkar, H. P. S. and Dutta, S. M. (1979a)Sci. Rep.,16, 824.Google Scholar
- Makkar, H. P. S. and Dutta, S. M. (1979b)Folia Microbiol., (submitted)Google Scholar
- Miyamoto, K., Ohyabu, M., Okazaki, M. and Miura, Y. (1977)J. Ferment Technol.,55, 63Google Scholar
- Mori, T., Sato, T., Tosa, T. and Chibata, I. (1972)Enzymology,43, 213.Google Scholar
- OhmiyaK, Taroa, Shimize, S. and Kobayashi, T, (1975)Agric. Biol. Chem 39 491.Google Scholar
- Rao, M. V; R. and Dutta, S. M. (.978)XX lnt, Dairy Conf, June 26–30, Paris. Brief Communication. p. 494.Google Scholar
- Wendorff, W. L., Amundson, C. H., Olson, N. F. and Garver, J. C. (1971)J. Milk Food Technol.,34, 294.Google Scholar
- Woychik, J. H. and Wondolowski, J. (1973)J. Milk Food Technol.,36, 31.Google Scholar
- Woychik, J. H., Wondolowski, M. V. and Dahl, K. J. (1974)Immobilized enzyme in food and microbial processes, eds A. C. Olson and C. L. Conney (New York: Plenum) p. 41.Google Scholar