Role of heme in mitochondrial biogenesis: Transcriptional and post-transcriptional regulation of the expression of Iso-I-cytochrome C gene during glucose repression-derepression in cells ofSaccharomyces cerevisiae
- 35 Downloads
Exogenous addition of hemin to glucose-repressed cells ofSaccharomyces cerevisiae restores the level of Iso-1-cytochrome C messengers to that observed in derepressed cells.In vitro transcription in isolated nuclei has shown a 4-fold stimulation in the synthesis of Iso-1-cytochrome C messengers in repressed but hemin-treated and derepressed cells compared to the repressed cells. Studies onin vitro transport of RNA from isolated nuclei have revealed that there is a 50% drop in the transport of total RNA from nuclei isolated from repressed but hemin-treated and derepressed cells when compared with the nuclei from repressed cells. However, under these conditions, there is an enhanced transport of translatable RNA. Hybridization analysis of the transported RNA using Iso-1-cytochrome C gene-specific probe has shown that there is preferential transport of Iso-1-cytochrome C messengers in repressed but hemin treated and derepressed cells.
KeywordsGlucose repression-derepression transcription RNA transport heme Iso-1-cytochrome C gene
sodium dodecyl sulphate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Duffus, J. H. (1979)Methods Cell Biol.,12, 79.Google Scholar
- Kiaf, D. R. and Warner, J. R. (1981)Mol. Cell. Biol.,1, 1007.Google Scholar
- Maniatis, T., Fristach, E. F. and Sambrook, J. (1982) inMolecular cloning: A laboratory manual (eds T. Maniatis, E. F. Fristsch and J. Sambrook) (New York: Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory) p. 164.Google Scholar
- Penman, S. (1969) inFundamental techniques in virology (eds K. Habel and N. P. Salmon) (New York: Academic Press) p. 35.Google Scholar
- Szykely, E. and Montgomery, D. L. (1984)Mol. Cell. Biol.,4, 439.Google Scholar
- Thomas, P. S. (1983)Methods Enzymol.,100, 256.Google Scholar