Coronal structures as tracers of sub-surface processes
- 24 Downloads
The solar corona &#x2013; one of the most spectacular celestial shows and yet one of the most challenging puzzles &#x2013; exhibits a spectrum of structures related to both the quiet Sun and active regions. In spite of dramatic differences in appearance and physical processes, all these structures share a common origin: they are all related to the solar magnetic field. The origin of the field is beneath the turbulent convection zone, where the magnetic field is not a master but a slave, and one can wonder how much the coronal magnetic field &#x201C;remembers&#x201D; its dynamo origin. Surprisingly, it does. We will describe several observational phenolmena that indicate a close relationship between coronal and sub-photospheric processes.
Key wordsSun solar corona magnetic field helicity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ambroz, P., 1992, inThe Solar Cycle, (ed.) K. Harvey (San Francisco: ASP),27, 35.Google Scholar
- Gilman, P. A., Charbonneau, P. 1999, inMagnetic Helicity in Space and Laboratory Plasmas, (eds.) M. Brown, R. Canfield &amp; A. Pevtsov, vol. 111 of Geophysical Monographs Series (Washington, D.C.: American Geophysical Union).Google Scholar
- Golub, L., Pasachoff, J. M. 1997,The Solar Corona (Cambridge: Cambridge Univ. Press).Google Scholar
- Hale, G. E., Nicholson, S. B. 1938,Magnetic observations of sunspots, 1917&#x2013;1924&#x2026; (Washington, D.C.: Carnegie institution of Washington)Google Scholar
- Hathaway, D. H., Bogart, R. S., Beck, J. G. 1998,Eos Trans. AGU,79(17), S281.Google Scholar
- Longcope, D. W., Linton, M. G., Pevtsov, A. A., Fisher, G. H., Klapper, I. 1999, inMagnetic Helicity in Space and Laboratory Plasmas, (eds.) M. Brown, R. Canfield &amp; A. Pevtsov, vol.111 of Geophysical Monographs Series (Washington, D.C.: American Geophysical Union), 93.Google Scholar
- Martin, S. F., Bilimoria, R., Tracadas, P. W. 1994, inSolar Surface Magnetism, (ed.) C. J. Rutten &amp; C. J. Schrjiver (Dordrecht: Kluwer Academic Publishers).Google Scholar
- Pevtsov, A. A., Canfield, R. C. 1999,Magnetic Helicity in Space and Laboratory Plasmas, (ed.) M. Brown, R. Canfield &amp; A. Pevtsov, vol.111 of Geophysical Monographs Series (Washington, D.C.: American Geophysical Union) 103.Google Scholar
- Sandborgh, S. C., Canfield, R. C., Pevtsov, A. A. 1998,Eos Trans. AGU,79(17), S285.Google Scholar
- Zirin, H., 1988,Astrophysics of the Sun (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press).Google Scholar