New high resolution observations of the solar diameter from space and ground with the microsatellite program PICARD
- 26 Downloads
The PICARD microsatellite mission will provide 2 to 6 years simultaneous measurements of the solar diameter, differential rotation and solar constant to investigate the nature of their relations and variabilities. The 100 kg satellite has a 40 kg payload consisting of 3 instruments which will provide an absolute measure (better than 10 milliarcsec) of the diameter and the solar shape, a measure of total solar irradiance, and UV and visible flux in selected wavelength bands. Now in Phase B, PICARD is expected to be launched before mid-2003. The engineering model of the diameter telescope will be used on ground simultaneously with the satellite to investigate the atmospheric bias and state on the possible accuracy of the ground measurements carried up to now. We review the scientific goals linked to the diameter measurement, present the payload, and give a brief overview of the program aspects.
Key wordsSolar diameter solar shape long-period oscillations g-modes solar influence on climate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Appourchaux, T.et al. 2000, Observational Upper Limits for Low-Degree Solar g-Modes,Ap. J., in press.Google Scholar
- Appourchaux, T., Toutain, T. 1997, inSounding Solar and Stellar Interiors, SymposiumIAU, 181, (eds.) Janine Provost and Francois-Xavier Schmider, 5.Google Scholar
- Fr&#x00F6;hlich, C. the Phoebus Group 1998, inStructure and Dynamics of the Sun and Solar-like Stars (SOHO 6 /GONG 98),ESA SP-418, 67.Google Scholar
- Kuhn, J. R., Bogart, R., Bush, R.et al. 1997, Precision Solar Astrometry from SOHO/MDI, inSounding Solar and Stellar Interiors, SymposiumIAU,181, (eds.) Janine Provost and Francois-Xavier Schmider, 103&#x2013;110.Google Scholar
- Sadourny, R. 1994, Sensitivity of Climate to Long-term Variations of the Solar Output, inThe solar engine and its influence on terrestrial atmosphere and climate, (ed.) E. Nesme-Ribes, (Springer Verlag),NATO ASI Series I,25, 479&#x2013;491.Google Scholar