Remote sensing of spectral signatures of tropospheric aerosols
- 50 Downloads
Validation of ATMRAD model/code using MOS data and synchronously measured atmospheric data, and if found performing well, then to
derive relationship between MOS radiances and Aerosol Optical Thickness (AOT).
•near-synchronous measurements of columnar aerosol optical thickness and altitude profiles of aerosol concentration using ground-based multi-filter solar radiometers and Argon-ion Lidar, respectively and
•computation of the top-of-the-atmosphere (TOA) radiances from a low reflecting target (near clear water reservoir in the present study) using the ATMRAD model.
The results show that the model performance is satisfactory and a relationship between the spectral parameters of MOS radiances and aerosol optical thickness can be established. In this communication, we present the details of the experiments conducted, database, validation of the ATMRAD model and development of the relationship between AOT and MOS radiance.
KeywordsLand aerosols spectral signatures remote sensing IRS-P3 MOS data
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Andrae M O 1995 Climate effects of changing atmospheric aerosol levels, In:World's Survey of Climatology (ed) A Henderson-Sellers (Elsevier) 341–392Google Scholar
- Chandrasekhar S 1960Radiative transfer; London (Oxford: Oxford University Press)Google Scholar
- Chahine M T 1983 Interaction mechanisms within the atmosphere; In:Manual of Remote Sensing Vol. 1, II Ed.; (American Society of Photogrammetry, USA)Google Scholar
- Devara P C S and Raj P E 1987 A bistatic lidar for aerosol studies;IEEE Technical Review 4 412–415Google Scholar
- Devara P C S, Raj P E, Pandithurai G and Sharma S 1995b A high spectral resolution radiometer for atmospheric monitoring;Journal of Instrumentation Society of India 25 142–154Google Scholar
- Fisher K 1970 Measurements of absorption of visible radiation by aerosol particles;Atmospheric Physics 43 244Google Scholar
- Junge C E 1955 The size distribution and aging of natural aerosols as determined from electrical and optical data on the atmosphere;J. Meteorol. 12 13–25Google Scholar
- Kneizys F X, Shettle E P, Gallexy W O, Chetwynd J H, Abreu L W, Selby J E A, Cough S A and Fenn R W 1983 Atmospheric transmittance/radiance: computer code LOWTRAN 6; Air Force Geophysical Laboratory, Hanscom Air Force Base, Massachusetts, USAGoogle Scholar
- McClatchey R A, Fenn R W, Selby J E A, Volz F E and Garing J S 1972 Optical properties of the atmosphere; AFCRL-72-0497, Air Force Cambridge Research Laboratories, BedfordGoogle Scholar
- McCartney E J 1976 Optics of the atmosphere: Scattering by molecules and particles (John Wiley and Sons)Google Scholar
- Potdar M B 1987 Quasi-simple model of radiation transfer in the earth's hazy atmosphere for correction of remotely sensed data;Scientific Note:SAC/RSAG/LRD/01/87, Space Applications Centre, AhmedabadGoogle Scholar
- Potdar M B 1990 Modelling of radiation transfer in earth's hazy atmosphere and calculation of path radiances in IRS LISS-I Bands;Journal of the Indian Society of Remote Sensing,18 465–75Google Scholar
- Potdar M B, Sharma S A, Devara P C S,. Raj P E, Pandithurai G, Maheskumar R S and Dani K K 1998 ATMRAD model calibration, retrieval of aerosol optical thickness and atmospheric factors from IRS-P3 MOS Data;Scientific Note,SAC/RSAG/LRD/01/87, Space Applications Centre, AhmedabadGoogle Scholar
- Potdar M B, Sharma S A, Devara P C S, Raj P E, Pandithurai G, Maheskumar R S and Dani K K 1999 Retrieval of aerosol optical thickness and atmospheric correction factors from IRS-P3 MOS Data; In: Proc. ISRS National Symposium onRemote Sensing Applications for Natural Resources: Retrospective and Perspective, Bangalore, 19th–21st January 1999 526–529Google Scholar
- Potdar M B and Devara P C S 2000a Atmospheric aerosol loading over land from IRS-P3 MOS sensor data; In: “Book of Abstracts of the ISRO Chairman's review of ISRO-GBP Projects” and the 3rd Workshop onScientific Results from ISRO Geosphere Biosphere Programme, 3rd–4th October 2000, ISRO HQ, BangaloreGoogle Scholar
- Potdar M B and Devara P C S 2000 Spectral characterization of optical thickness over land from IRS-P3 MOS-B sensor data; In:IGBP in India 2000: A Status Report on Projects, compiled and edited by the Indian National Committee for the International Geosphere-Biosphere Programme, 1997–2000, Verba Network Services, Bangalore, 206–211Google Scholar
- Potdar M B and Devara P C S 2001b Land aerosol characterization from satellite data; In: Proc. of WG-II onAtmospheric Chemistry, Aerosols and Global Change Meeting on 20th-21st December 2001, SPL, VSSC, Trivandrum 37–40Google Scholar
- Potdar M B, Parikh V Y, Sharma S A, Devara P C S, Raj P E, Pandithurai G, Maheskumar R. and Dani K K 2001 Characterization of land aerosols using IRS-P3 MOS Sensor Data; SAC Director's review of ISRO-GBP projects at SAC, 31st July 2001Google Scholar
- Valley S L (ed.) 1965Handbook of Geophysics and Space Environment; (New Jersey: McGraw-Hill) USAGoogle Scholar
- Van de Hulst H C 1957Light scattering by small particles (New York: Wiley) USAGoogle Scholar