Study of the relationship between non-dimensional roughness length and wave age, effected by wave directionality
- 74 Downloads
Relationship between the non-dimensional roughness length and inverse of wave age has been discussed without consideration of wave directions, though wind wave field consists of various directional component waves. In this study we observe wave heights by an array of four wave gauges at the Hiratsuka Tower of (Independent Administrative Institution) National Research Institute for Earth Science and Disaster Prevention (NIED), Japan, and discuss the effect of wave directionality. As a result, the data sets were classified into two different groups according to the directional wave spectrum distribution. In case 1 only swell and wind waves exist and in case 2 there exist wave components from several directions. It is shown that the case of multiple-directional component waves (case 2) may affect the non-dimensional roughness length and friction velocity.
KeywordsWind wave roughness length wave age
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Akaike H 1973 Information theory and an extension of the maximum likelihood principle;2nd Inter. Symp. on Information Theory, (eds) B N Petrov and F Csaki (Budapest: Akademiai Kiado) 267–281Google Scholar
- Hashimoto N 1997 Analysis of the directional wave spectrum from field data;Adv. Coa. Ocean Eng. 3 pp. 103–143, (ed) Philip L-F Liu, (World Scientific)Google Scholar
- Suzuki N, Ebuchi N, Akiyama M, Suwa J and Sugimori Y 1998 Relationship between non-dimensional roughness length and wave age investigated using tower-based measurements;J. Adv. Mar. Sci. Tech. Soci. 4 No. 2, 217–224Google Scholar
- Toba Y 1961 Drop production by bursting of air bubbles on the sea surface (III). Study by use of a wind flume;Met. Coll. Sci., Kyoto Univ., Ser. A,29 313–344Google Scholar
- Toba Y and Koga M 1986 A parameter describing overall conditions of wave breaking, whitecapping, sea-spray production and wind stress; In:Oceanic whitecaps, (ed) E C Monahan and G MacNiocaill (Dordrecht: D. Reidel Publishing Company) 37–47Google Scholar