Multi-component ion exchange kinetics with PAN-KCoFC composite ion exchanger
An ion exchange kinetic study was performed using PAN-KCoFC for removal of cesium ion from mixed solution of Cs, Sr, Ni and Ba ions. Uptake curves were obtained for a multi-component ion exchange system as well as binary system. A PAN-KCoFC composite ion exchanger showed higher selectivity for Cs ion over the Sr, Ba, Ni ions. A homogeneous model could predict accurately the uptake curve for both the binary and multi-component systems. Solid phase effective pore diffusivities obtained by modeling ranged between 10−5 cm2/min and 10−6 cm2/min.
Key wordsComposite Ion Exchanger Ion Exchange Kinetics Cesium Ion Radionuclides PAN KCoFC
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Enarsson, A., Landgren, A., Liljenzin, J. O., Skalberg, M., Spjuth, L., Gudowski, W. and Wallenius, J., “Partitioning and Transmutation (P& T) 1997,” SKB annual Report, TR-98-14 (1998).Google Scholar
- John, J., Sebesta, F. and Motl, A., “Composite Absorbers Consisting of Inorganic Ion-Exchangers and Polyacrylonitrile Binding Matrix: Leaching of 137Cs from Cemented NiFC-PAN Absorber,”RadiochimicaActa,78, 131 (1997).Google Scholar
- Mimura, H., Lehto, J. and Harjula, R., “Ion Exchange of Cesium on Potassium Nickel Hexacyanoferrate(II)s,”J. of Nuclear Science and Technology,34(5), 484 (1997a).Google Scholar
- Mimura, H., Letho, J. and Harjula, R., “Chemical and Thermal Stability of Potassium Nickel Hexacyanoferrate(II)s,”J. of Nuclear Science and Technology,34(6), 582 (1997b).Google Scholar
- Moon, J. K., Kim, Lee, E. H. and Kim, H. T., “Ion Exchange of Cs Ion in Acid Solution with Potassium Cobalt Hexacyanoferrate,”Korean J. Chem. Eng.,21, in press (2004).Google Scholar
- Moon, J. K., Kim, H. T., Shul, Y. G., Lee, E. H. and Yoo, J. H., “Ion Exchange Behavior for Mixed Solution of Sr and Cs Ions with Potassium Titanate,”Korean Chem. Eng. Res.,38, 847 (2000).Google Scholar
- Rice, R. G. and Do, D. D.,Applied Mathematics and Modeling for Chemical Engineers, John Wiley & Sons, New York (1995).Google Scholar
- Ruthven, D.M.,Principle of Adsorption and Adsorption Processes, Wiley, New York (1984).Google Scholar
- Sebesta, F. and John, J., “An Overview of the Development, Testing, and Application of Composite Absorbers,” LA-12875-MS (1995).Google Scholar
- Sinha, P. K., Lal, K. B., Panicker, P. K., Amalraj, R. V. and Krishnasamy, V., “Application of commercial zeolite-13X in the Treatment of Simulated and Actual Radioactive Effluent Containing Caesium,”Indian Journal of Chemistry,33A, 924 (1994).Google Scholar
- Tarasevich, Yu. I., Kardasheva, M. V. and Polyakov, V. E., “Selectivity of Ion Exchange on Clinoptilolite,”Colloid Journal,59(6), 754 (1997).Google Scholar
- Villadsen, J. and Michelsen, M. L.,Solution of Differential Equation Models by Polynomial Approximation, Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliff, NJ (1978).Google Scholar