A non-linear time series approach to modelling asymmetry in stock market indexes
In this paper we analyse the performances of a novel approach to modelling non-linear conditionally heteroscedastic time series characterised by asymmetries in both the conditional mean and variance. This is based on the combination of a TAR model for the conditional mean with a Constrained Changing Parameters Volatility (CPV-C) model for the conditional variance. Empirical results are given for the daily returns of the S&P 500, NASDAQ composite and FTSE 100 stock market indexes.
Key wordsConstrained Changing Parameters Volatility model TAR Leverage effect EM algorithm
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Black F (1976) Studies of Stock Price Volatility Changes, Proceedings of the 1976 Meeting of the American Statistical Association. Business and Economic Statistics Section, 177–181Google Scholar
- Bollerslev T, Engle RF, Nelson DB (1994) ARCH models. In: Handbook of Econometrics (Engle RF, McFadden D (eds.)4 North-Holland, AmsterdamGoogle Scholar
- Brannas K, De Gooijer G (2000) Asymmetries in conditional mean and variance: modelling stock returns by as-MA-asQGARCH. Umea Economic Studies, n. 535Google Scholar
- Lundbergh S, Teräsvirta T (1998) Modelling economic high-frequencies time series with STAR-STGARCH models. Working Paper n. 291, Stockhol School of EconomicsGoogle Scholar
- Storti G (1999) A state space framework for forecasting non-stationary economic time series. Quaderni di Statistica,1 121–142Google Scholar
- Storti G (2001) Modelli autoregressivi con coefficienti stocastici ed effetti simmetrici nella volatilità dei rendimenti azionari. Quaderni di Statistica3 71–82Google Scholar
- Taylor S (1986) Modelling Financial Time Series. Wiley, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Tong H (1978) On a Threshold models, in Pattern Recognition and Signal Processing. Chen CH (ed.) Sijthoff & Noordhoff, AmsterdamGoogle Scholar
- Tong H (1983) Lecture notes in Statistics: Threshold models in non-linear time series analysis. Springer-VerlagGoogle Scholar
- Tong H (1990) Non-Linear Time Series: A Dynamical System Approach, Oxford Publications, Oxford University PressGoogle Scholar