Global analysis of secondary bifurcation of an elastic bar
- 5 Downloads
In a three dimensional framework of finite deformation configurations, this paper investigates the secondary bifurcation of a uniform, isotropic and linearly elastic bar under compression in a large range of parameters. The governing differential equations and finite dimensional equations of this problem are discussed. It is found that, for a bar with two ends hinged, usually many secondary bifurcation points appear on the primary branches which correspond to the maximum bending stiffness. Results are shown on parameter charts. Secondary modes and branches are also calculated with numerical methods.
Key Wordsglobal analysis secondary bifurcation geometrically nonlinear
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Wu BS. Secondary bifurcations of a slender elastic bar under axial compression.Acta Machanica Sinica, 1991, 23(3): 347–354 (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Hu SX. Theoretical Mechanics. 1st ed. Beijing: Higher Education Publishing House, 1986 (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Zhu ZY, Cheng CJ. Methods of Numerical Computation of Bifurcation Problems. 1st ed. Lanzhou: Lanzhou University Press, 1989 (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Ji HB, Wu JK, Hu HC.Science in China (Serial A), 1991, 21(9): 947–954Google Scholar
- Keller HB. Lectures on Numerical Methods in Bifurcation Problems. Heidelberg: Springer-Verlag, 1987Google Scholar