A generalized Reynolds equation based on non-Newtonian flow in lubrication mechanics
- 88 Downloads
A generalized Reynolds equation based on non-Newtonian flow is derived in this paper. This equation is suitable for a number of non-Newtonian flow models and can be solved numerically to obtain pressure fields in thermalhydrodynamically or elastohydrodynamically lubricated fluid films. A mathematical approach is given for solving simultaneously the shearing stress, shearing rate, velocity and equivalent viscosity. To show the application of this equation, two rheological models which have been widely used in lubrication mechanics are incorporated into this equation to obtain numerical solutions to the line contact thermal elastohydrodynamic lubrication problem.
Key Wordslubrication Reynolds equation rheology elastohydrodynamic lubrication
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Reynolds, O.,Transactions of the Royal Society, London,177 (1886), 157–243.Google Scholar
- Dowson, D., and Higginson, G. R., Elastohydrodynamic Lubrication, Pergamon Press, (1966).Google Scholar
- Hamrock, B. I., and Dowson, D.,ASME Journal of Lubrication Technology,99 (1977), 264–276.Google Scholar
- Cheng, H. S.,ASLE Transactions,8 (1965), 397–410.Google Scholar
- Zhu, D., and Wen, S. Z.,ASME Journal of Tribology,106 (1984), 246–254.Google Scholar
- Najii, B., Bou-Said, B., and Berthe, D.,ASME Journal of Tribology,111 (1989), 29–34.Google Scholar
- Johnson, K. L., an Cameron, R., Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineering,182, (1967–1968), 307–319.Google Scholar