Cranial response to treatment of sagittal synostosis
- 22 Downloads
The response of the cranial vault to bilateral parasagittal craniectomies in the treatment of sagittal synostosis is described. Silicone film is used to cover the bony margins of the defect. Maximum expansion of the cranial vault at the defect occurs within 3 months. During the healing process, the margin of the skull within the silicone cuff is resorbed while new bone is formed in the defect, ultimately bridging the defect. The radiographic picture has been uniform in three patients.
Key wordsSagittal synostosis craniectomy silicone cuff cranial regeneration
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Bolk, P., Uber, L.: Premature Obliteration der Nähte am Menschenschädel. Z. Morph. Anthrop.21, 1 (1919)Google Scholar
- 5.Jacobi, A.: NonNocere. Med. Rec.45, 609 (1894)Google Scholar
- 6.Matson, D. D.: Neurosurgery of infancy and childhood, second edition, Springfield: Charles C. Thomas 1969Google Scholar
- 9.Shillito, J., Jr.: Personal communicationGoogle Scholar
- 10.Strand, R. D.: Personal communicationGoogle Scholar