Series solution for scattering of plane SH-waves by multiple shallow circular-arc canyons
- 24 Downloads
The analytical method is used for the problem of scattering of plane SH-waves by multiple shallow circular-arc cangons. The solution of multiple scattering of plane SH-waves is first expressed as the sum of series of solutions in each of local coordinates using separation of variables and is then converted into the form of dual infinite series of a local coordinate sytem by Graf's addition formula suitable for the interior and exterior problems. The solution of the problem is finally reduced to solving a set of infinite algbraic equations. Numerical results of scattering influence on the motion on the earth surface are presented for the two adjacent shallow circular-are canyons with the same diameter and variable depth-to-width ratio, and the effect of screening and interaction between canyons are discussed in the paper.
Key wordstopography with multiple shallow circular-arc canyons scattering series solution
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- W. D. Smith, The application of finite element analysis to body wave propogation problem,Geophys. J. Res. Astr. Sov.,42, (1975), 747–768.Google Scholar
- D. M. Boore, A note on the effect of simple topography on seimsic SH-waves,Bull, Seism. Soc. Amer.,62 (1972). 275–284.Google Scholar
- L. B. Sills, Scattering of horizontally-polarized shear waves by surface irregularities,Geophys, J. R. Astr. Soc.,54 (1987). 319–348.Google Scholar
- Li Xiaoying and Xu Zhixin, The effect of valleys and trenches of arbitrary shape on the propagation of waves,Acta Mechanics Solida Sinica,7, 3 (1986), 229–238. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Liao Zhenpeng and Liu Jingbao, Fundamental problems of wave's finite element,Sciences of China (B),8 (1992), 874–882.Google Scholar
- M. D. Tirfunca, Scattering of plane SH-waves by a semi-cylindrical canyon,Int. J. Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dgn.,1 (1973), 267–281.Google Scholar
- H. L. Wang and M. D. Tirfunca, Scattering of plane SH-waves by a semi-elliptlacl canyon,Int. J. Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn.,3 (1974), 157–169.Google Scholar
- Yuan Xiaoming and Liao Zhenpeng, Series solution for scattering of plane SH-waves by a canyon of circular-arc cross section,Earthq. Eng. and Eng. Vib.,13, (2) (1992), 1–11. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Yuan Xiaoming and Men Fulu, Scattering of plane SH-waves by a semi-cylindrical hill,Int. J. Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn.,21 (1992), 1091–1098.Google Scholar