Imaging of Burkitt lymphoma in pediatric patients
The imaging procedures utilized at presentation in the diagnostic work-up of 19 children with Burkitt lymphoma were reviewed. The distribution of disease was compared to other tumors of childhood so that the most valuable modalities could be identified. Burkitt lymphoma is a rapidly growing tumor in the child, making it essential to suggest the diagnosis as quickly as possible so that biopsy and treatment can be instigated. The primary area of involvement was abdominal (15 of 19), gastrointestinal, intraperitoneal adenopathy, hepatic and pancreatic without retroperitoneal adenopathy. Pleural effusions were common without hilar and mediastinal adenopathy. This is in contrast to other tumors of childhood where mediastinal and hilar disease in the chest and retroperitoneal node involvement in the abdomen are common. Thus sonography is an excellent imaging modality, easily identifying the extent of the disease and so suggesting the diagnosis.
KeywordsPublic Health Lymphoma Pediatric Patient Imaging Modality Pleural Effusion
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 7.Ferris RA, Hakkal GH, Cigtay OS (1975) Radiologic manifestations of North American Burkitt's lymphoma. AJR 123:614Google Scholar
- 10.Castellino RA, Parker BR (1977) Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. In: Parker BR, Castellino RA (eds) Pediatric oncologic radiology. The C.V.Mosby Company, Saint Louis, pp 183Google Scholar
- 11.Lee FA (1977) Rhabdomyosarcoma. In: Parker BR, Castellino RA (eds) Pediatric oncologic radiology. The C.V.Mosby Company, Saint Louis, p 407Google Scholar
- 12.Holland T, Donohue JP, Baehner RL, Grosfiled JL (1980) The current management of neuroblastoma. J Urol 124:579Google Scholar
- 13.Friedland GW, Crowe JE (1977) Neuroblastoma and other adrenal neoplasms. In: Parker BR, Castellino RA (eds) Pediatric oncologic radiology. The C.V.Mosby Company, Saint Louis, p 267Google Scholar
- 14.Francis IR, Glazer GM (1982) Burkitt's lymphoma of the pancreas presenting as acute pancreatitis. J Comput Asst Tomogr 6:395Google Scholar
- 15.Caffey J (1978) Pediatric X-ray diagnosis, 7th edn. Year Book Medical Publishers, ChicagoGoogle Scholar