A proof that Witten's open string theory gives a single cover of moduli space
- 149 Downloads
We show that Witten's open string diagrams are surfaces with metrics of minimal area under the condition that all nontrivial open Jordan curves be longer or equal to π. The minimal area property is used together with a mini-max problem to establish a new existence and uniqueness theorem for quadratic differentials in open Riemann surfaces with or without punctures on the boundaries. This theorem implies that the Feynman rules of open string theory give a single cover of the moduli of open Riemann surfaces.
KeywordsNeural Network Statistical Physic Complex System Nonlinear Dynamics Modulus Space
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [GMW] Giddings, S., Martinec, E., Witten, E.: Modular invariance in string field theory. Phys. Lett.176B, 362 (1986)Google Scholar
- [KKS] Kugo, T., Kunitomo, H., Suehiro, K.: Non-polynomial closed string field theory. Phys. Lett.226B, 48 (1989)Google Scholar
- [Og] Ogura, W.: Combinatorics of strings and equivalence of Witten's string field theory to Polyakov's string theory. Progr. Theor. Phys.79, 936 (1988)Google Scholar
- [St] Strebel, K.: Quadratic differentials. Berlin,Heidelberg, New York: Springer 1984Google Scholar
- [Zw2] Zwiebach, B.: Quantum closed strings from minimal area. Mod. Phys. Lett. A2, (32) 2753 (1990)Google Scholar
- [Zw3] Zwiebach. B.: Minimal area problems and quantum open strings. Commun. Math. Phys. (in press)Google Scholar
- [Zw5] Zwiebach. B.: Interpolating open-closed string field theories. MIT preprint MIT-CTP-1911 (to appear)Google Scholar