Weak matching rules for quasicrystals
- 87 Downloads
Weak matching rules for a quasicrystalline tiling are local rules that ensure that fluctuations in “perp-space” are uniformly bounded. It is shown here that weak matching rules exist forN-fold symmetric tilings, whereN is any integer not divisible by four. The result suggests that, contrary to previous indications, quasicrystalline ground states are not confined to those symmetries for which the incommensurate ratios of wavevectors are quadratic irrationals. An explicit method of constructing weak matching rules forN-fold symmetric tilings in two dimensions is presented. It is shown that the generalization of the construction yields weak matching rules in the case of icosahedral symmetry as well.
KeywordsNeural Network Statistical Physic Complex System Nonlinear Dynamics Quantum Computing
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Steinhardt, P.J., Ostlund, S.: The physics of quasicrystals. Singapore: World Scientific 1987Google Scholar
- 2.Penrose, R.: Bull. Inst. Math. Appl.10, 266 (1974)Google Scholar
- 3.de Bruijn, N.: Proc. Kon. Nederl. Akad. Wetensch. A84, 39 (1981)Google Scholar
- 8.Socolar, J.E.S.: In Quasicrystals — Adriatico Anniversary Research Conference. Jaric, M.V., Lundqvist, S. (eds.). Spingapore: World Scientific (to appear) (1989)Google Scholar
- 9.Kleman, M., Pavlovitch, A.: J. Phys. C3, Workshop on Aperiodic Crystals: 229 (1986)Google Scholar
- 13.Lubensky, T.C.: In Aperiodicity and Order, vol.1, Jaric, M.V. (ed.). Boston: Academic Press 1988Google Scholar
- 14.One could equally well consider aci-row border, wherec is any number relatively prime toQ, but only one case is necessary for the proofGoogle Scholar
- 15.Katz, A.: UnpublishedGoogle Scholar