The effect of Hexabrix tracheobronchography on the ultrastructure of the airway epithelium
- 28 Downloads
The ultrastructure of the airway epithelium was studied after experimental Hexabrix tracheobronchography. Serious damage to the tracheal epithelium due to Hexabrix was recorded. 81±5% of goblet cells were stimulated to discharge mucus. 43±3% were completely exhausted and degenerated. The ciliated cells displayed vacuolar degeneration or severe pathological alteration. The average number of cilia/μm2 fell to 3.3±0.5. As morphological signs of impaired selfcleaning ability the inspissated mucus and numerous bacteria appeared in the area of the disorganized ciliary border.
KeywordsPublic Health Goblet Cell Airway Epithelium Ciliated Cell Pathological Alteration
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Althoff J, Richter-Reichhelm HB, Green U, Kracke D (1981) Scanning electron microscopical investigation on the respiratory epithelium of the syrian golden hamster III. Zbl Bakt Hyg I Abt Orig B 174: 249Google Scholar
- 6.Konrádová V, Šrajer J (1987) Quantitative evaluation of the ciliary border of the epithelium of the rabbit trachea and the human primary bronchus. Folia Morphol 35: 67Google Scholar
- 8.Konrádová V, Kanta J, Šulova J (1990) Effect of bronchoalveolar lavage on the ultrastructure of the tracheal epithelium in rabbits. Respiration (in press)Google Scholar
- 9.Lundgren R, Horstedt P, Winblad B (1983) Respiratory damage by flexible fibroptic bronchoscopy in pigs. Eur J Resp Dis 64: 24Google Scholar
- 10.Marin ML, Gordon RE, Lane BP (1979) Development of tight junctions in rat tracheal epithelium during early hours after mechanical injury. Am Rev Resp Dis 119: 101Google Scholar
- 12.Nordin U (1977) The trachea and cuff-induced tracheal injury. Acta Otolarygol (Suppl) 145:1Google Scholar
- 15.Smith W, Cranken EA (1984) Metrizamide as a contrast medium for visualization of the tracheobronchial tree: its drawbacks and possible advantages: Ped Radiol 14: 158Google Scholar
- 17.T⫲ma S, Zábrodský V, Brychta O, Povýšilová V, Kanta J, Bŕezovský P, Oštádal B, Kolar F (1990) Hexabrix tracheobronchography in infants. Ped Radiol (in press)Google Scholar
- 18.Yoneda K (1976) The mucous lining of major bronchi in the rabbit lung. Am Rev Resp Dis 115: 819Google Scholar